This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Freshman year can be a difficult year, especially if you’re not used to a bigger campus or you have trouble opening up to finding new friends. In just a few short weeks our newest freshman will soon be sophomores and a new class will come. I don’t know about you all as freshman, but one of the things I regret is not getting involved in something on campus when I was able to.  So, if I could pass anything on to anyone it would be to join a club or sport or anything that can help you get involved.

There are a ton of opportunities on the campus including:
·      Greek Life
·      Student Government
·      Intramural Sports
·      The Reporter
·      And various other clubs within your major

Joining an organization can give you a sense of family that might have forgotten because your states away from your friends and family back home. Joining an organization is easy and don’t think that just because you’re a third year means that it’s too late to join.

The organizations around campus are always looking for fresh new faces, and if you love something like writing or photography even Frisbee then there is definitely a club out there for you.

In the beginning of every year, RIT has a club fair, where all the on-campus organizations have tables set up where the new incoming students can see what every club has to offer. Yes, it is spring quarter and you might be thinking to yourself “It’s too late to join something now!” which isn’t true. Some organizations on campus look for new students every quarter. But, even if the club you wanted to join isn’t having info sessions, you can still contact the student in charge and maybe have a meet and greet with them, so you know what to expect for fall when you come out to their meetings.

One of the organizations I feel that would benefit a lot of students here on campus and is just beginning is Orientation Assistants. Just from talking to girls around campus have mentioned that being an OA has taught them leadership and dedication, along with lasting friendships. There is an application process along with a mini interview and workshop, but these are meant to show you what being an OA is all about.

http://www.rit.edu/~w-orient/assistants.php
Above is the link to the description and application/info sessions for anyone who may or may not be interested.

Anytime during your time here at RIT, just join something that interests you. I promise it will be one of the best decisions you have made as a student. Getting involved can definitely help you become a better you!

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.