Emotional Support Animals? We Love to See it!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Nearly everyone loves having a sweet pet to be their companion around the clock; I myself grew up with multiple dogs and many cats, fish, and hamsters. The absolute relief I would feel when I saw them helped me through some of the worst times of my life. However, many living situations do not allow pets, eliminating the chances of having a little guy with you. 

That was my predicament while planning to move into an apartment. I was trying to find any way I could get some sort of pet in with me, which is when my friends suggested an emotional support animal (ESA).

What is an ESA?

According to the US Service Animals’ website, an emotional support animal is an animal that “provides comfort just by being with a person” (ESA FAQs). Now, these animals are not trained or certified as Service Animals so there are limitations to where you can bring your pet (no grocery stores or many other public places). But, getting your animal ESA certified allows them to live with you even in places with a “no pet” policy. You are completely protected by the Fair Housing Act with proper certification.

ESAs can be virtually any animal. Of course, there may be size limitations due to where you’re living or federal laws preventing you from certifying certain animals, but if you wanted to certify your baby tarantula you absolutely could. As long as you can vaguely explain how your animal brings you comfort, you’re set to go.

The Certification Process

I recently completed this process back in July! It is very clear and step-by-step, but it can take about a month for everything to finalize, so make sure you plan ahead so you and your sweet baby can move in at the same time. 

I used the US Service Animals Colorado website (I’m currently living in Colorado hehe). You can find your states page by searching “emotional support animal [state]”. Now there are a lot of places you can start with the application process. I personally began with creating a profile for my cat. You’ll need a name, approximate birth date, breed, color, place where the animal will be living, and phone number or email you can be reached at. *A quick note for the city you register your pet under, make sure it is the place where you will be living! So even though my permanent address is in Johnstown, I registered my cat in Denver as I would be living there with her*

Once you create their profile, the organization calls you to verbally confirm the pet’s information and receive payment. The cost for this part was $140, however, they gave me $70 off because I also needed to get psychiatric approval through US Service Animals. Once you have paid and confirmed the information, your animal is officially certified as an ESA. 

The next step after this is submitting a letter from a therapist or psychiatrist explaining why you need the ESA so you can be legally protected by the Fair Housing Act. At the time, I did not have a therapist or psychiatrist so I schedule an appointment with one provided by US Service Animals. You sign up for a day that works for you and are given a time range when you should receive a phone call for the consultation. This part cost me $110, but if you already have a therapist or psychiatrist, you do not have to get approval through the US Service Animals. Just send them a letter and they will add it to your account.

I actually received my call in the midst of dinner at a huge New Jersey mall with my boyfriend and his friends, so I just sat in a quiet corner and did the 5-minute phone call. I was asked what mental health issues I was experiencing and then had to explain how my cat helps me cope with them. A super important thing here: they do not require you to have any official diagnoses!! The call can be as simple as saying you experience panic attacks and your animal helps calm you down, allowing you to feel safe in your home. The therapist or psychiatrist then types up an official evaluation stating why you need your ESA and if they approve it or not. I got my letter emailed to me 10 minutes after the phone call.

Now that you have your pet’s account and the letter of approval, you have completed ESA registration and are federally protected under the Fair Housing Act!

Is it Worth it?

I do not know how I would make it through school and work without my sweet gremlin cat, Gaia. One of the biggest reasons I needed an ESA was to have some sort of constant that I could tether myself to. I am living in a new city with new people at a new school and a new job so I needed some sort of pillar for me to rely on. No matter how the day goes, I know I’ll come back to the apartment and see my baby. 

It is so fun and fantastic to go through these crazy changes with Gaia by my side, and I am super happy that I don’t have to worry about hiding my cat from my landlord. The process does take a little bit to complete and will put you out about $200, but in my eyes, it was completely worth it. 

So if you have the time and money, get your pet ESA certified and live your best baddie lives together.

Kassidy Ricketson is a Civil Engineering Technology major and a Musical Theatre Performing Arts Scholar at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Her passion is sharing vibrant stories that hopefully encapsulate the uniqueness of an individual's life.