Dear Overwhelmed Freshman (From Less Overwhelmed Senior)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

I haven’t had a linear college experience. I know it’s normal to experience things differently than others, but growing up as a homeschooler, I was contentiously reminded by society how I was different from everyone else.

When I graduated high school, I had no idea what I was doing. I never thought college was for me. Before I graduated, I started taking classes at my community college (which my mother signed me up for). Even though I did well in those classes, I still had no idea what I wanted to do OR how to do it.

What even is college

Eventually, I ended up going to a 4 year college, studying English and Creative Writing, then transferring to RIT. That’s 3 colleges I’ve been to. But like you, I was so lost, even as a Sophomore, and Junior. It’s been a long journey and I have ~a lot~ of experience to share. So, allow me to spread some of my expertise. ✨

What you should do your frist year

Go easy on yourself. When you get to college, you’re going to want to do all these things and take up every opportunity you can find. You might want to join a thousand clubs or start your own (like me) and that’s okay! But if you’re still worried, especially being at a big university like RIT, it’s okay to dip your toes in.

It’s okay to say no

At RIT, there are opportunities everywhere and it can be overwhelming. It’s okay to say no or change your mind. I’m still learning this but even as I learn, I find that when one opportunity goes, another will come your way. Be open minded but know your boundaries.

Reach out

If you’re struggling with something, don’t be afraid to reach out. My very first professor told me “no question is a stupid question” and that helped me speak up when I was confused or didn’t understand something. And this goes for outside of classes, too. Maybe you need help with financial aid or don’t know how the bus system works. Ask a fellow student or reach out to a department on campus. You got this!

Staying Organized

I’ve tried all the things to stay organized throughout my college experience and some ways work better than others. If something isn’t working, stop and try another way. Maybe a digital planner is more your thing. It’s okay to stop and take a step back to see what is helping you the most.

Making friends

So, maybe you want to be friends with everyone. Or maybe everyone wants to be your friend. Either way, you might find yourself meeting lots of new people. Some people might be amazing. Some people might be… not so amazing. Again, know your boundaries and don’t be afraid to say no. This will surround you with the people who make you feel good.

But what if I don’t know what I want to major in?

Usually no one knows what they want to major in their first year of college. Or maybe their third year. Either way, what’s helped me the most is talking to different departments and fellow students. Even taking a class in something completely different from what you want to study helps give you a better perspective on what you want to do.

What if I want to do a minor?

If you’re like me and have a lot of interests, you could do something that will allow you to minor in it without even having a larger workload. Oftentimes, courses can be accepted as credits towards your major AND minor. So, you might actually be minoring in something without even realizing it! You have the opportunity to explore, especially your first two years. The best thing to do is talk to academic advisors AND professors in the departments you’re interested in.

It’s okay to not know what you’re doing

Everyone has been through it and are still going through it. Everything will work out. Try not to stress too much and enjoy what you are doing.

Now that it’s my senior year, I know exactly what I’m most interested in. I’m taking my passions and running with them. I know who to go to for advice if I need it, and everything will work itself out. It might not be the same as every other senior, but it has taken a lot of trial and error to get to where I am today. You got this.

xx Kenzie

Mackenzie (Kenzie) is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus @ RIT. She is studying English and Creative Writing, with a minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Kenzie's goal is to become an editor in the Young Adult publishing scene and to provide more accurate representation of intersecting identities.