This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
Most like it hot, but the weather is still cold. Here is a guide to what works for winter’s cold and spring’s cool breeze. In these long winter months it is easy to miss that vibrant summer glow.

What’s Hot: Try a light liquid bronzer like Cargo cosmetics Multi-Mix Bronzer which can stand alone or be mixed with foundation, moisturizer or sunscreen. This product can be found at Ulta, Macys Impulse, and online at cargocosmetics.com for $28.00.

What’s Not: Very orange spray on tans are out. Whether it is winter, spring, summer, or fall it is more attractive to have a natural grow.

It can seem as though this winter is lasting long and with Mother Nature playing tricks on us with this one day hot the next bitterly cold I’m sure you are wondering what styles you should be rocking.

What’s Hot: The number one rule to mastering end of winters fluctuating weather is dress for the season not the weather. Try a comfy pair of flats on days that are warm and keep your Uggs and other winter boots ready for days that are cold. If you are looking for some cute flats, try Macys or DSW, stores with a huge inventory and low prices that are suitable for a college budget.
What’s Not: We know that hearing 55 and 60 degrees on the weather channel is very tempting, and that a forecast like that has you running for the flip flops, but remember dress for the season not the weather. Our rule is if there is snow on the ground the whole foot should be covered. Flip Flops in the dead of winter do not look good and can result in sickness.

It seems like every time we sit in our rooms to watch television there is at least one commercial about luscious lashes and as magazine junkies there are about 5 lash advertisements to a magazine. With all this talk about lashes we have deemed them the must have accessory of 2011.

What’s Hot: The key to mastering the lash trend is to first try to achieve luscious lashes with mascaras that promote growth. Try cargo cosmetics LashActivator in black or brown and LashActivatorNight for $35.00 or the LashActivator mini duo for just $15.00 these products are sold at Ulta, Macys Impulse, and online at cargocosmetics.com. After 30 days of using this product lashes will grow strong and luscious. If you are looking for a fast solution, try strip lashes. They are a quick and easy way to make lashes look long and healthy and can be purchased at your local drug or beauty supply store at prices ranging from $3.00 to $10.00.

What’s Not: Overdoing mascara is never attractive. It is important when using mascara to apply a thin lengthening layer. Too much mascara can result in the spider effect or crusty, clumpy, runny mascara. Also, when choosing false lashes go with something simple; less is more. The objective of the lash is to bring out the eye not to give the eye wings. Lastly, do away with waterproof mascaras, they have a lot of alcohol in them and will break down your lashes over time.

This has been your guide to What’s Hot and What’s Not in everything fashion, skincare, and makeup.

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.