This Week’s Best Dressed Diva: Danyelle Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.

Danyelle has a sparkly personality that will take her anywhere she wishes to go. With everything she says her brown eyes are wide and her voice drips with zeal. When asked about what she see’s herself doing in the future, she divulges that she wishes to have a career in graphic design, which was inspired by the vocational school that she attended prior to coming to Rider. She says that she also loves public speaking.

Tom Boy Chic

Danyelle labels herself as a modern-day Aliyah. “I do tom-boy things, but it’s tomboy chic. Somedays I can wear baggy pants and play up the boxers thing or the Gucci book-bag, but my hair is nice or I’ll put make-up on. And then the next day, I’ll change it up, wear something cute, like a dress or something and I’ll try to wear the heels.”

Bargain Shopper

None of Danyelle’s responses were predictable, and we love that about her. When asked about what stores she likes to shop at she doesn’t go directly for the mainstream stores where most girls are going these days. “Actually, my favorite store – people don’t believe this – is Marshall’s. I’m a bargain hunter. You won’t find me at urban Outfitters unless I see sales! i go to Marshall’s all the time. I like Forever 21, it’s always cheap. The only thing is that you can’t get your money back,” she says with a laugh.

Unique Style

Shopping isn’t such a constrained task for Danyelle. “I pick anything! People usually go and buy outfits, you know, if they buy the jeans they have to go buy a shirt to match it, or the shoes to match it. I find pieces. So that’s why it’s hard to describe my style; because I never match anything. I’ll find a nice pair of red shoes, and a purple something, I like color combinations. If i see something stripped, or if I see something with a weird print, or a weird blazer, anything black or shiny. Then I see what looks good together.”

The Key to Sui Generis Style

“Accessories definitely set off a style. If you got the right type of jacket or shoes, you can wear anything You can wear any type of shirt underneath a jacket.” You got that right! Ladies, are you taking notes?

Celebrity Style Crush

“I like Rihanna. She’s hot! I see a lot of people wear flashy stuff, like Beyonce will wear a three-thousand dollar dress, but it’s just shiny. But I see Rihanna wearing a lot of stuff that caters to my artistic view. People are always saying, ‘Oh, why does she have that bright red hair and that black lipstick. she looks like a clown.’ But I love it. It’s something I haven’t seen on TV yet. I like Katie Perry. She’s inspiring. She doesn’t just always shop at expensive shops. She’s talked about how she goes to Forever 21. She’s doesn’t have to just buy Christian Loubutin’s.”  

Style Potential

“I think I dress the best for my age. For the things that I am linked to and interested in, as far as bring an artistic person and going into that field – I mean, when you do work in those type of jobs, they really do have their own sense of style. I’m only nineteen years old and I still like to have fun. I think you can be as fly as you are until whatever age you are!”

Hate it!

Danyelle admits that there is one trend that she just doesn’t like. “For the longest, my inner-city friends, wear those Philly braids still. I don’t know how they go to sleep with those heavy braids!” 

In Love With…

Our cutie tells us that she’s in love with the girls she sees trading in half of their long, luxurious locks in for a shaved head. Another trend she’s loving? The scarlet pout. “I love it! They’re bringing red lipstick back. I wear red lipstick a lot now. It’s cute and it shows off that you have nice lips.”

A Bit of Advice

“Style comes from within and how you feel about yourself. First, you have to love  yourself and know what you love to do. For me, I was always a person who didn’t have high confidence. Even  still now, I’m not blasting with confidence, it’s just based off of what I like. Whatever you love to do, let that shine through. You can wear what ever you want. It’s how you wear it.” We couldn’t have said it better ourselves!