Tyree Leonard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
We love that Tyree Leonard loves his smile just as much as we ladies do. We also love that he took some time out of his day to talk with us. We wanted to know him a little better (we know you do too) and here he dishes on how he approaches a girl he likes, advice he gives his boys on dating, and more.

Would you consider yourself to be romantic?
I mean I’m no Jack Dawson or anything but I would like to think that I can be romantic when I want to. I’ve come to learn that its not always about the big gifts, sometimes it’s the little that matter most to a girl, like remembering her favorite candy or just doing things for her—just because.

How do you let a girl know you like her?
When I want a girl to know that I like her I usually feel out the situation, I might wait for a little signal from her to see if she feels the same way. But other than that I might just go up to her and just let her know how I felt about her.

Did anyone ever help you figure out how to ask out a girl?
No, no one ever helped me figure out how to ask out a girl, I was pretty much just out there on my own, figuring things out.

What about your friends? Do you help them out in the girl’s department?
The only advice I give them is just be yourself, because if you act like something you’re not most girls can see through that. Just be yourself and you can’t go wrong.

Did you ever have a girl ask you out?
I have had a girl ask me out before. I said, “yes” just off the fact that it was what some would consider a “bold move”. I like when a female takes initiative and is not afraid to go after what she wants. But at the same time I feel that there has to be a balance between the two, a male shouldn’t always do something and neither should a female.

Your first crush, what drew you to her?
The thing that drew me to my first crush was mostly her personality. She could just make me laugh effortlessly which is definitely a plus because I like to joke around and have fun. Of course she was cute as well but it was her personality that drew me to her. I was in about Fourth grade when I had my first crush. Of course I was way too shy to tell her I liked her & wouldn’t even dare ask her out at the time.

What is your worst dating experience?
When I was in 8th grade and I was stood up at the movie theatre. We [him and his date] said we would meet up there and when it was time for the movie she never showed up. So I had to go in and watch the movie by myself. It was the first time I’ve ever been stood up, but luckily I’m a forgiving person so we ended up going out again on a much more successful date.

Switching gears a bit, we know you love to play sports. Is this how you like to stay fit?
It’s how I stay in shape for the most part. Since I’m on the Rider University Track & Field team I basically workout twice a day everyday. I usually do some type of cardio in the mornings along with weight lifting in the evening. I’m not a health freak or anything but being fit does have importance to me. Not only for self-confidence but mostly for being healthy.

Twice everyday? That’s serious. So you must get compliments?
I get the most compliments on my smile. Which I don’t mind at all because that’s why I got braces when I was little.

Do you like it?
It’s a nice little confidence booster when a random person gives you a compliment.

Ladies, feel free to compliment Mr. Leonard on Facebook.
Or check him out on Twitter.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.