This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
On the far heels of the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week there was a popular trend happening: 70s FASHIONS!! From the high-waist wide leg pant to the bold colors to happy prints, anyone that has been paying any attention to fashion could not deny the 70s influenced trends this season. Here are some tips on how we college ladies can fit these hot trends into our everyday lives.

Most women can probably pull this off. However you must be mindful of how high the waist is, if you have a bit of a tummy a waist that is too high can give you the appearance of a pooch, NOT COOL! If you are shorter, like me, you probably should pair your pant with a high heel; the length of the pant can swallow you up and make you appear short and frumpy. Dark denim washes can look more expensive than ones that are lighter, and can double as business causal on “denim Fridays.” Finally, if you pair it with a feminine sheer-like blouse, you will look just like a 70s fashionista.

This is a really fun trend, especially for the springtime. Bright bold and/or pastel prints, big or small are G-R-E-A-T!!! Usually the rule of thumb is smaller women should wear a smaller pattern or print; while larger women should wear larger prints. The reason is because a larger pattern on a smaller woman will “swallow” her up and smaller prints on bigger women give them an appearance of being bigger than they are. Furthermore, certain prints are not made for certain body types: Women who are trying to camouflage wider body types should not wear horizontal stripes, it only draws attention to the width; whereas women that are less curvy should stay away from vertical stripes if they are trying to create curve because it will only extenuate the lengthiness of your body. Paisleys, polka dots, and stripes can be used to soften up any look this spring and summer. Anyone can rock it. If your more daring, try mixing patterns.

White is timeless and is always in, but there was something about the 70s that made white bohemian chic. With eyelet patterns and peasant dresses, white took on its own new identity. This fashion season white is back with vengeance. WHITE, WHITE, WHITE…. a staple of designers like Michael Kors, this trend is classic on all women. However, there a few things us women need to be mindful of when we wear white: For example, please remember to make sure you have clean black under garment when it’s time to wear white because it’s not cool to see you polka dot drawers through your white pants; polka dots are in but not under white garments. Secondly, white shows EVERYTHING so be careful when putting on those fitted white pants because whether you know it or not everyone can see every nook and cranky of you lower half. Even adding splashes of bright and bold colors can be a way to accessorize or make your white your own, and this is also reminiscent of the 70s. So as long as you double back in the mirror to check for the fashion faux-pas of whites, you can shine bright in your white.

What are you favorite spring 2011 fashion trends?
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.