This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
We can almost all agree, that in comparison to previous artists who took the stage at our campus’ SRC over the past two years, American recording artist Lupe Fiasco is the perfect fit for our diverse student body.

Straying away from the sounds of conventional Hip Hop music, Lupe focuses on making music with positive messages and incorporating political views, leading some to categorize his music as “Political Rap.” Hip Hop music over time has become infamous for its vulgarity and degradation of women. These same qualities are what initially led Lupe to dislike the genre. It was not until hearing the 1996 album “It Was Written” by controversial rapper Nas, that he decided to pursue rap.

The Southside Chicago native proves himself to be a well-educated individual in terms of world affairs, and exemplifies how your environment doesn’t necessarily have to influence who you are. Although he was raised in an area with drug dealers, prostitutes, and crime, Lupe rose above that.

We, as women, constantly deal with hearing Hip Hop artists refer to us as anything but ladies, but Lupe Fiasco sides with us on this issue, and shows that music doesn’t have to be degrading to be considered good.

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.