How to Deal: UK Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
I hate to admit it, but I have an obsession with the UK. So for my article this week I decided to write about up and coming bands/singers from the UK. Using a list of the popular artists from BBC, I decided to explore what music I liked and didn’t like. I feel like the US needs to improve the amount of music from across the seas on our radios. So I’m going to give these artists a little shout out. I’m very open about what I listen to. My mp3 player has music ranging from Ella Fitzgerald to Glee soundtracks to Eminem. Without further ado…

Clare Maguire
When I first heard her voice I immediately thought of Cher. She has a strong voice and she’s not afraid to use it. She has been signed for two years however her album hasn’t come out until recently. She has a unique voice and her music is heartfelt. If you are looking for a new rocker chick to follow, Clare Maguire is for you

Jessie J
She is one British artist who happens to be pretty famous in the US. Most know her by her songs “Do It Like A Dude” and, more recently, “Price Tag”. She was actually a songwriter for artists such as, Chris Brown and Miley Cyrus. “Party in the USA” wasn’t written by someone from the USA! While her videos are a bit strange at some points, her different camera angles and heartfelt lyrics are what set her apart. Her songs send out a message of individuality and pride in who you are.

James Blake
According to Blake, his early influences were classical, jazz, soul, and R&B. He also had a love for electronic style music. He started his music career through remixes of popular songs online. When I first read about James Blake I thought his music would be similar to electronic or club music. However, when I listened to some of his music I found myself becoming lethargic. His music isn’t very fast paced and doesn’t have many lyrics to it. While I would recommend his music for when you want to relax or just a lazy day in, his current album isn’t meant for partying or a day out.

The Vaccines
This indie rock band is one that will be a new “most played” on my mp3 player. Their new song, “If You Wanna,” has a catchy beat and good lyrics. Their vocals are smooth and the music is calming yet invigorating at the same time. This is a group I would watch for in the future.

Jamie Woon
This guy is one of my favorites. He has a great voice and has a unique style. One of his older songs, “Spirits,” is a collaboration of his different vocals and beat boxing that blends together in harmony. The genre is a mixture of R&B and soul. His music ranges from guitar to R&B to a bit of an electronic vibe. He’s another artist to watch for. He could go very far.

So here are the top 5 UK artists and my views on them. Remember: my opinions are not yours so everything’s up for different interpretations and views. I’m excited to explore other artists that are not yet famous in the United States and hope to see the artist mentioned above become more successful.

What are some of your favorite bands? Are any of them from out of the country?

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.