How to Deal: Spring Makeup Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
It’s a new year, which means new styles invading the fashion and beauty world.  This year’s spring collections are a mixture of old and new.  This year’s trends give a little something for everyone.  If you love makeup then you’re definitely going to love this year’s styles and colors.

Bright Eye Color
This season’s colors let you put more attention on your eyes.  Adding bold colors such as Venetian blues, oranges, shimmers, and pinks can help bring the focus to your face and enhance your eyes.  Peacock colors are definitely a hit and come in beautiful bright shades.  Even red eye shadow is a color that is hitting the scene; paired with black eyeliner and mascara.  If you aren’t used to using bright shadows try doing one color at a time.  Do something different and spice things up a bit!
(Extra: Also try doing a smoky eye effect if you don’t want to overwhelm with a bright color. This trend never seems to lose its beauty!)

Bold Lips
Lips will be bold and center of attention this season!  Bold lips are a simple way to add some pizzazz to your makeup routine.  Try some corals, hot pinks, or purples.  If you like darker shades try a fierce black cherry!  If you don’t want something too bright try a peachier shade to ease in!  Either ends of the spectrum are a way to update from dreary winter blues.

Natural Look
The natural look seems to be a big hit for spring.  Your gorgeous skin will be the biggest focus with this style.  The easiest way to achieve this trend is with some concealer and foundation, a little blush, and nude lips.  Less color is more with this look.  If you want a little color add some peach, caramels, or white shades of eye shadow. 

Pastels

Pastel pink is definitely the go-to color this season.  ‘60s inspired cotton candy as a lip color works really well.  The colors can be applied lightly or heavily depending on the desired effect.  Although, I recommend lightly for day and heavy for night.  The colors used this season are yellows, blues, pinks, greens, and my all time favorite: lilac.  My favorite color is purple but this lilac can go for both day and night.  Simply use grays and charcoals, or pinks and pale yellows.  Nude lips are also a favorite in this trend as well.  A light sweep of color across the cheekbones gives a fresh look.  According to the make up brand Clarins, who seem to favor the pastel look, “Sometimes, it is better to whisper, than to shout”.

Metallics
Luxe metallics including, most of all, silver and gold but also metallic brown, gray, and beige are here to stay on your eyes.  For a sheer effect, blend a cream eye shadow on your entire lid.  Jason Wu and Derek Lam collections have some great tips.  To add a dab of color, go for an even tinting of metallic eye shadow that is applied in a design that flatters your eye shape.

Some other looks for the season include: colored eyeliner (such as purples, blues, and even white) and liner only on the top lid (try making it fun with some bright colors).

This season anything goes.  There are lots of inspirations from the ‘60s and ‘70s as well as the always classic, smoky eye.  Try experimenting with something you wouldn’t normally do.  These beauty styles seem to express our modern societies pattern of self-expression and the “everyone is beautiful” mentality.  In the words of Lady Gaga’s new hit “Born This Way,” “Rejoice and love yourself today, ’cause baby, you were born this way!”

What is one thing/trend you want to start this season?

P.S. Be sure to attend the Makeover Finesse Party which will be held in the Fireside Longe in the BLC on March 22nd starting at 6:30!
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.