How to Deal: Moving Back Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
There is one thing most freshmen don’t know: How is everything going to fit? Recently, I’ve moved back home because I am commuting to another school next year. So I had to pack everything up and find places for things in my room. It was quite a process, so I’ve provided some tips for everyone! From freshmen moving back for the summer to seniors who’ve just graduated, these tips will help you make order out of chaos.

1. Use your storage bins. You bought them, so why not use them for more than just your dorm room? I had a small shelf in my dorm and it has made a great nightstand in my room at home. It doesn’t take up a lot of space and it holds all my random knick-knacks that I had no other place for. Extra collapsible shelving could be used on/around your desk or in your closet. They help create extra closet space since most girls tend to end up with more clothes and shoes than when they moved out. 

2. Little by little, start bringing home things you haven’t used and don’t anticipate using a few weeks before move out day. Even if it’s just one suitcase a weekend it’ll make a difference when you need to fit a fridge, television, and microwave all in one car.
3. Save the plastics. One thing I learned from home was to save plastic bags. I never knew when I would need one, for instance if I ran out of garbage bags. They take up a small amount of space and I found that, when I run out of luggage, they worked well for the awkward shaped hangers. They’re also best for your cleaning products or other liquids/sprays you’re afraid will make messes.

4. Fragile items: If you have any keepsakes or frames you don’t want broken in travel, the best thing is newspaper. However, if you are like most college students you can’t afford daily newspapers. So in order to compensate you could use extra napkins or paper towels. And if you can get your hands on the school newspaper you could also use that!

5. Zip-lock baggies. Small zip-lock baggies are one way you can store your jewelry. But be sure to put them in your luggage so nothing’s broken or crushed.

6. Winter clothes. Even though the weather’s been a bit moody, the temperature’s been fairly constant. So that bulky winter coat and those snow boots? Yeah, they can go. There’s very little chance that it’s going to snow in the next couple of weeks. Take home those gloves or mittens. Be sure to keep a couple scarves just in case it’s extra chilly.

7. The spares. When going home for the weekends I usually throw some extra towels in my laundry basket. Why? Because they usually are the things that take up the most space and I need the room in the storage box I keep them in. Do you really use a lot of towels in one week? Most people say no. So take the extras home! Another thing to take home? Extra books and notebooks. As a bookworm I tend to keep books that I read for leisure in my room. However, as it gets closer to finals I need to focus on schoolwork, so I take them home. Out of sight, out of mind. Those extra notebooks that you thought you would need, yet haven’t opened? They take up extra space on moving day. So when packing for a weekend home put them in your backpack and get them out of the way.

The more you pack here and there, the easier and quicker it’ll be come the day you need to move out. You, and everyone who helps you, will appreciate the no-hassle move.

Do you have any other ways of packing or moving?

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.