Cents & Sensibility: Surviving Financially After Falling in Love with a Designer Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
Most of us, if not all of us, have them: fluffy and furry friends that we love dearly. If you can feel emotion, you most likely will melt at the sight of a cute little puppy or kitten and decide you want to take it home. WAIT! Before you let your heart get the best of you, take a gander into the wonderful world of pet ownership: the food, toys, bills and upkeep.

Take it from someone who fell in love with a 2-month old Shiffon puppy that cost $1600: the price was a menial factor when I first bought him, but then I felt sticker shock a month later when I got the bill! Though he is worth every penny, it’s not easy taking care of a puppy; it’s practically like a child. In the beginning, the biggest expense is having to take your new pet to the veterinarian. Depending on where you get your pet from (assuming you did buy it and didn’t adopt), it may already have some things done: fixed, vaccinated and, for cats, declawed. But if you aren’t that lucky, having some (or all) of those things done can be extremely expensive. Fixing and declawing a pet can cost a few thousand dollars. Vaccinating, however, can be just as much as getting a vaccine yourself: anywhere from $30 to $150 a pop. Not to mention, it’s mandatory that certain pets get certain vaccines, especially when they’re still babies. Be prepared to get a young animal rabies and combination vaccines. But don’t worry, some towns have free – or inexpensive – vaccine clinics for pets. Also, your vet may recommend that you get flea, tick and heartworm medications as preventative measures, even if the pet will primarily be indoors.

Once you take your new friend home, you will begin your average, weekly spending. You have to consider that your pet is going to need food (wet, dry or both), food bowls, a pet bed, toys, treats and, if you get a puppy that’s untrained, training pads. Depending on the food you get, you could be replenishing it bi-weekly or monthly. Also, an important tip that not many know: animals cannot drink tap water. That being said, it’s in an owner’s best interest to get a water filtering system, like a Brita pitcher or PUR faucet attachment, to give clean, fresh water to your cat or dog. Your pet is also going to want toys to play with.

As a youngling, a dog will want small, rubbery toys that help with its teething. As they get older, they will want things they can grab and chew on that won’t get destroyed. Cats will want anything that has feathers, bells, ribbons, and moves – which, by the way, won’t change as they age. Check out your local pet stores and look at the labeling on all of the toys. They will say what age and size pet they are ideal for, and what health benefits they offer. Some may cost $5 or more for one small toy, so this cost can add up. In some instances, stores like Target and Walmart offer the same types of toys for less than Petsmart or Petco.

Once you are fully delved into the world of pet ownership, you have to begin raising and training the animal. Dogs should be trained on puppy training pads in the very beginning, then gradually moved outdoors at specific times of the day. Cats will naturally find a litterbox if you have one in a secluded but accessible location. They are very clean animals and won’t use the bathroom around the house like a puppy will. If training your pet proves to be too much by yourself, consider taking it to training classes at a pet store, vet or clinic in your area. Be careful, though. Training classes can cost you a pretty penny: sometimes $100 or more for a few sessions. In the long run, they will pay off when you don’t have to refinish your floors or buy new furniture!

After you’ve gotten over the initial costs of caring for a pet, it will become a daily routine and your new family member will feel like just that. Besides, the cost of taking in an animal that would otherwise be sitting in a cage until someone buys it really is priceless.

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.