Bonjour, Hola, Hello!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
A popular New Year’s Resolution is to learn another language. This past Wednesday, the presidents of the United States and China gave a joint press conference where both English and Mandarin Chinese were spoken by reporters from their respective countries. The concept of globalization, of the world’s traditional borders becoming a thing of the past as countries and businesses work together increasingly on an international stage makes one thing quite obvious, speaking English alone is not enough.

According to Ethnologue, a catalog that lists and categorizes the living languages, those with native speakers, of the world. English is the third most spoken language by the number of native speakers. The first two languages in order of rank are Chinese and Spanish. Arabic and Hindi round out the top five at number four and five respectively.

Universities offer many routes to becoming fluent in a second or possibly a third language:

Take Language Courses

The core requirements of many liberal arts and science programs make taking a course or two in a foreign language mandatory for graduation, so many of us do not really have a choice. Take a language that interests you even if it is not the one you studied it in high school. If French was the bane of your existence in high school why continue? Conversely if you enjoyed your high school language, continue it.

Other students who do not require language courses to graduate can take them as electives as proficiency in another language is seen as a career benefit no matter if you major in musical theater or accounting.
Major or Minor In A Language

Rider University students can major in French, German, Russian and Spanish. There is also the option to minor in these languages in addition to Italian or Chinese. A major is usually 36-39 credits with the minor at only 18.

Rider is not alone in offering these by a long shot. It is common knowledge that many universities offer majors and minors in these and other languages. One note from this writer, who has a second major in Spanish, make sure you enjoy reading, as the literature of your chosen language plays a major part in your study of it.
Study Independently

While the last ambition of any student is to add even more study time to their schedule. If your goal is to pick up another language and your academic plan does not allow to pursue it on your own is your only option. There are several ways to do this.

Take a course at the local community college during breaks is one option. To help out a friend taking the language you want to learn by helping them study is another. To buy a language workbook at the bookstore is a third of endless options. Rider students have the additional option of utilizing Rosetta Stone, which the school pays for, to learn a language. Buena Suerte! (Good Luck!)

Sources:

CNN Broadcast (1/19/2010) noon-1 p.m.
Ethnologue:
http://www.ethnologue.org/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=size
Rider University Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures
http://www.rider.edu/academics/colleges-schools/college-liberal-arts-education-science/liberal-arts-programs/foreign-lang
Jess Scanlon is a senior Journalism & Spanish double major at Rider University. However her real passion is writing.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.