Ask Danielle: Different Page, Same Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.

Dear Danielle:
I’ve been seeing this guy for about six months and whenever we go out or run into some of his old friends, he always introduces me, “Uh…this is *Christine.” Whenever I talk to my mom or girlfriends I say that he’s my boyfriend. I’m not sure if we’re on the same page in our relationship but when we’re alone he says he loves me. I’m just ot sure. What do you think? Does he really love me?

Dear Not Sure: Let me start off by saying this: the way a guy introduces you pretty much gives you a good sense of the status of your relationship. If a guy introduces you as a friend or simply says your name with no title, chances are you really don’t mean much to him. If a guy really cares about you and wants to take your relationship to the next level…he’s willing to profess it. In public. To all his guy friends and even to his mom. He’ll give you a title after a while—one month, three months, but definitely before six months. You’re going to be his girl, his woman, his fiancée, his wife, his something. 

You really want to know if your guys really loves you? Find out. Test him. The next time you go out and you run into his guy friends, when he goes to introduce you, interrupt him before he gets to just say your name and say, “Hi, I’m (your guy’s name)’s boyfriend.” If he cringes, then you know he’s not the one. 

Send your questions to browndan@rider.edu.