This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond London chapter.

This week our university is hosting a female safety week. Living in London we all know that there is danger to being a young women living in a big city. Even if we stay with our friends, avoid the more dangerous neighboorhoods, and have our keys between our fingers we are still at risk. I live in Richmond Upon Thames which is one of the safest areas of London, but I still have experienced being catcalled and even being followed. Here are three apps to help keep you safe. 

1. bSafe

This app lets you share your location with your friends, find your friends, and request your friends follow your location. It also has a loud alarm and a feature that plays a fake phone call. This app is good for sketchy Uber rides or a blind Tinder dates.

2. Kitestring

This isn’t an app, but rather a texting service you sign up for online. You text Kitestring an allotted time to text you back and if you don’t respond then Kitestring alerts your local authorities. This app is good if you plan to go for a run or to a new area alone.

3. One Scream

One Scream is a voice activated app that is designed for extreme circumstances of distress. The app detects a panicked scream and then turns on a loud alarm, flashing lights, and vibrates your phone. After 20 seconds the app will text your ‘Helper,’ which are pre-determined emergency contacts. Maybe disable this app if you are going to a theme park or going to the cinema to see a horror movie.

Stay safe.

Eliza Sims

Richmond London '22

I am a dual citizen of the UK/USA, but grew up in Florida/ Tennessee. I currently live in London studying international relations with a minor in environmental science and development. My favorite thing to do is travel. Find me on instagram @elizaasims