photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Culture > News

Meghan Markle’s Tell-All from International Perspectives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond London chapter.

The biggest story of the past week has been Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah Winfrey. Markle stated the goal of this interview, comparing herself to Ariel from The Little Mermaid, was to get her voice back since her marriage to Prince Harry of the United Kingdom. Here are a few interview highlights of the interview and insights from some students at Richmond, the American International University in London.

Markle says that as an American she perceived the Royal Family and her impending marriage as a fairytale and called her former self naive. Freshman, Sky Harsch, an American student, said she believes many Americans are just as naive and tend to romanticize the British monarchy. Since moving to the UK for university Harsch says her view of the Royal Family has changed and calls it “a weird grasp on traditional English values that no longer exist.” Junior Valentina Vidak, a London native, says that she previously considered herself a monarchist, but in the past few years has found herself supporting Markle and Prince Harry.

Markle said that she was silenced by the Royal Family, but expected she would be protected, especially from the media. Clearly, this was not the case. However, the most shocking moment of the interview was yet to come: Markle, who is of mixed race, went on to reveal that certain family members had offensive conversations speculating Archie’s (her and Prince Harry’s now-son) possible skin tone while she was pregnant. Prince Harry and Markle chose to hide the identity of the racist family member. Malia Aubry, biracial student, stated “like [Markle] said, I thought the Royal Family would see her as someone to make the family better and more inclusive.” Aubry goes on to say, “I thought Markle [becoming a princess then a Duchess after marriage] was so cool, it was like when the Obamas were elected, because that is what half of my family looks like.”

There was speculation that Archie did not receive a title on the basis of his race, but Vidak says this is very problematic. The George V protocol says that Archie would only get a title once the Queen passes and Charles, his grandfather, ascends to the throne, regardless of his skin tone. Vidak says that Markle and Prince Harry’s decision not to name which family member made the racist comment on Archie’s race will be detrimental to the monarchy. Vidak says that “if there was a discussion about race in the context that [Markle and Prince Harry] claim there was, then our monarchy is not fit for purpose.” However, Vidak is also concerned about the backlash from many Americans on Twitter who don’t understand the “British values.”

Markle says that the isolation from her in-laws was so difficult that it caused her to have suicidal thoughts, even while pregnant. Thankfully, she had Harry’s support and the support from Princess Diana’s friends who compared Markle’s experience to Princess Diana.

The Royal Family has not yet commented on the interview. A personal highlight from the author was when Markle made it very clear that Her Royal Majesty, the Queen has always been “warm, inviting, and welcoming,” as well as when Prince Harry and Markle announced that they are expecting a girl in the summertime. Many of the students here at Richmond, the American International University in London found the interview very powerful and hope that only the best will come out of it for Markle and her family.

Eliza Sims

Richmond London '22

I am a dual citizen of the UK/USA, but grew up in Florida/ Tennessee. I currently live in London studying international relations with a minor in environmental science and development. My favorite thing to do is travel. Find me on instagram @elizaasims