Submit Your Original Work to “Engender”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

This month’s round of submissions are due Saturday, March 31.

The Rice Women’s Resource Center publishes a monthly zine titled Engender, which features written and visual work produced by Rice students. Past themes include healthy relationships, self-love, health and accessibility, sexual assault awareness and female identities, polarization and marginalization in gender and race, and topical issues in commemoration of Black History Month and Women’s History Month. Meant to serve as a forum for delving deeper into discussions already taking place on the Rice campus and beyond, Engender allows female students a space to share their personal encounters with gender inequality. Just as Assigned: Life with Gender brings together a number of essays to paint a sweeping picture of gender as it presently exists in the United States, Engender collects, promulgates, and grants a much-needed sense of legitimacy to the stories, musings, and artwork of women at Rice, ultimately broadening the perspectives of both its contributors and its audience.

The theme for the March issue of Engender is hair, in all of its many forms. To be featured in this month’s issue, simply email your paintings, poetry, prose, playlists, pictures, or whatever else you may have in mind to zine@rice.edu.

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.