This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

When I heard the news of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s passing on Friday, September 18, I couldn’t help to feel a mix of shock, sadness, and fear. I was in shock that the beloved feminist icon, the Notorious RBG, whom I have looked up to since I could understand politics, died. She was, and still is, my role model. RBG fought for women’s rights her entire life, which is the reason why I, as a woman, have the rights that I do today. I have hopes of becoming a lawyer, however, I will never ever compare to Ruth Bader Ginsburg – what she did for us is more than anyone could. 

The next feeling that came to me was sadness. I was downstairs with my parents when I found out the news and I knew I was going to cry, so I ran upstairs to my room. I laid in bed with the covers over me and just cried. I thought, “How could she really be gone?” I knew that she fought so hard for us for so long. She held on as long as she could to try to ensure that her replacement on the bench would be made by the next President in office. Without any more of Ruth Bader’s wisdom and presence, the world could grow much darker. 

The last emotion I felt when I heard the news was fear. I thought to myself, “We are screwed.” Without Ruth Bader on the court, our rights as women are at risk. If Trump is able to appoint a new judge, we cannot be sure that Roe v. Wade will be protected. Nothing will ever compare to the work that Ruth Bader Ginsburg did for us. Knowing President Trump, he will most likely rush the nomination causing chaos among the country. We know that Mitch McConnell is in support of this, as he had to announce that the Senate would replace Justice Ginsburg as soon as possible, not even 24 hours after her death. He couldn’t just let us have a day to mourn and honor her. RBG was an honorable woman who did so much for this country, however, McConnell would rather focus on ensuring that the Republicans have power over the Democrats. Why doesn’t he instead respect her dying wish, which was “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.” RBG spent her life fighting against most of what Trump stands for, but he gets to choose who takes her place? It just doesn’t sit right with me. 

On Instagram, @mulltoons created a post that says, “If we must be Ruth-less, then we must be ruthless.” The time is now to stand up for our rights. We must honor Ruth’s name and legacy by making sure that President Trump does not get to choose her replacement. I like to ask myself, “What Would RBG Do?” RBG would tell us to not give up and to continue to fight for equal rights. She paved the way for us and now it is our turn to give back to her by continuing in her honor. Thank you, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, for everything you have done for us. Your service to this country will never be forgotten. Rest in Power, we love you RBG. 

Hi, I'm Sabrina and I'm from St. Louis, Missouri. I'm majoring in Political Science and International Studies.