This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

When we are young we are given the duty to save the world

To be better than those that preceded us

But is that not deemed selfish, lazy or unfair

Try

Try

Try

When all else fails:

Give the responsibilities and weight of the world’s mistakes to those still young, innocent and optimistic those who hold high hopes for the future

Whose views are not tainted by the austerity that this world inflicts on its victims

But despite it all

Have you ever seen the world through the eyes of a child?

Put them in a playground…

Swing sets become vehicles that push them through the mouth of a volcano

Slides become the belly of a dragon ready to be obliterated as they climb out from the other end

Try to put yourself in the frame of a child

Everything is seen with fresh eyes

They encapsulate what it means to love at first sight

They ask infinite questions about the whys of life

They instantly fell in love with their toes, their mothers hugs, their mudpies, their binky, their toys…

Everything is given attention and love that no one can take away from them

What happened to that love for wonder? Why should it be acceptable to grow and loose our childlike wonder?

As we live and grow, we still encapsulate what it means to be a toodler, a preteen, a teen and an adult

They all come out when we most need them and sometimes its ok to not act your age

Love, live and remember to do just that for yourself

Give yourself more credit once in a while

Bitia Alanis

Rhodes '22

Bitia Alanis is a student at Rhodes College. She enjoys surfing the web, writing, reading, Netflix and allowing a space for people to connect and enjoy the many qualities of life. She's empathetic and always strives to make herself the best she can be.
Olivia is a Creative Writing major at Rhodes College. She is a twice published novelist, and has had work featured in Fresh U, GrrlPunch Magazine, and The Bridge Street Paper (Memphis, TN).