Surviving Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

It’s that dreaded time again. The library is packed, people are fighting till the death for a study room, backpacks scattered all over the floor, papers stacked high, coffee cups stacked high in the trash can – you know it’s Finals Week. We all hate it and yes, it is the most stressful time of the year. Everyone is just ready for summer and trying to fit a whole semester’s worth of information into a week is not appealing at all. But instead of constantly stressing yourself out, here are some tips on surviving through finals!

1. Get some sleep
    We know that all-nighters seem to be an absolute must this week; however, you need to get some sleep. Not only will sleeping help you relax, but it will make you feel good, more energized and ready to tackle the next task. You may think that by staying up all night, you’ll be able to fit more information into that delicate little cranium of yours, but in reality, you’ll be able to remember information a lot better after a good night sleep. If sleep is just not an option for you, at least take a nice nap. Because let’s face it, we all could at least use a nap.

2. Take a shower
    Okay, so maybe this one is a little weird. But for the sake of the people around you and yourself, please scrub-a-dub-dub in the mornings. It’ll wake you up and you’ll be clean, fresh and ready to get down to business! And then you won’t be wondering what that dreaded stench is when you’re sititng down taking an exam for two and a half hours.

3. Breakfast is GOOD
    And we all know that breakfast is the best meal the Rat has to offer. We’ve all heard that one phrase, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!” Well, it really is and studying on an empty stomach is a no-no. Food makes everyone happy and you don’t to be making awkward faces when your stomach decides to complain about your lack of attention to it while in a quiet library.

4. Allocate your time wisely
    Make a schedule allocating your time to certain things and stick with it. It’s going to make everything a lot easier and it’ll help you figure out what you need to study for the next day.

5. Take breaks
    When we say take breaks, take a break, not a vacation.

6. Wear Comfortable clothes
    It is not the time to be dressing to the nines and showing off that new Lilly Pulitzer dress you just got. Put on some comfy shorts and a t-shirt and hit the books! We all are going to look like a mess during finals week so join the crowd and don’t be the odd ball.

7. Maintain your Caffeine intake
    We know coffee is everyone’s best friend/soulmate during finals week. However, make sure you’re watching how much coffee or caffeine you are consuming. Too much caffeine and you’ll be a jittery mess, possibly even bouncing off the walls – an even bigger distraction. Your body will thank you if you control your caffeine.

Happy Finals Week everyone! And may your grades be ever in your favor!

Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!