Spring Break Body: Workout Routines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

With Spring Break fast approaching, everyone seems frantic to get their bodies looking toned, healthy, and swimsuit ready. However, no one enjoys going through the trouble of dragging themselves all the way to the gym, only to retreat back to their rooms feeling bored and unaccomplished half an hour later. Here are a few quick exercises that can be done at a gym, or even in the comfort of your own room. These exercises are concise and will leave you feeling fit and accomplished. You can do as many or as few repetitions as you’d like, depending on how intense you would like your workout to be.

Bicycle Crunch: For Core & Abdominals

Lying on your back on the floor, fold your knees towards your chest and curl your upper body off the floor. Placing your hands behind your head, slowly rotate your upper body to the right while drawing your right knee in and reaching your left leg out. Then rotate left and pull the left knee in and extend right leg out. Focus on bringing the shoulder toward the hip, and keep the opposite shoulder off the floor. Repeat.

Side Plank: For Core & Abdominals

For another abdominal alternative, lie on your side with a bent elbow directly under your shoulder, and use your torso muscles to lift the body up into a side plank. Then lift the hips higher, then back to the plank, then lower. Do as many as you can with proper form, then repeat on the other side.

Beginner Squats: For Thighs

Beginner squats use an exercise ball. Stand against a wall with the ball at your lower back, feet hip–width apart and out in front of you. Slowly lower your body by bending your knees as if you were sitting on an imaginary chair. Then, slowly move back to the starting position. Your knees should remain over your heels at all times. Repeat this exercise as many times as you feel comfortable.

Squats: For Thighs

Once you’re ready, try squats without an exercise ball. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and your back straight. Bend your knees and lower your rear as if you were sitting down, keeping your knees over your ankles. Feel free to grip two small weights in each hand for added difficulty. You can also move arms from side to in front of you as you squat.

Forward Lunge: For Thighs

Part your feet so that they are lined up with your hips, take a big step forward with one leg, then drop your back knee toward the floor, aligning your front knee with ankle. Return to the starting position, and repeat by stepping forward with the other leg. For more challenge, hold a free weight in both hands and complete the lunge with a rotation in the torso, twisting the body toward the forward leg. 

The Bridge: For Hamstrings

The bridge works the glutes, hamstrings, and core. Lying on your back with knees bent and feet hip-width apart, lift your lower back off of the floor. Continue lifting until you form a diagonal line from your knees down to shoulders. Slowly lower yourself to the starting position, then repeat. 

Once you have been working out for half an hour or so, feel free to go for a short jog or spend a few minutes on the eliptical to build up your cardiovascular strength and prevent that monotonous work out that we all dread. Also, remember to drink plenty of water throughout your work out and stay within your comfort zone with regards to the difficulty level at which you attempt to perform these exercises. No matter the shape of your body, if you carry yourself in a comfortable and confident manner, you will look gorgeous in your swimsuit. Have a happy and safe Spring Break.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.