Shape-Up Rhodes: Study Abroad, Stay in Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Traveling with friends every weekend, exploring unfamiliar territory, establishing a fixed schedule, and thus, adapting to a new culture– what a fulfilling experience studying abroad is

But what happens when you find yourself caught up in the midst of all the excitement?

The combo of a skewed sleep schedule, exposure to a lower drinking age, and overall lazyness has ridded your mind of the healthy habits you once incorporated into your life.  Adapting to a new setting is a challenge indeed, but the common “I’ll workout tomorrow” or “I’ll stop drinking during the week” catch phrases don’t need to be lies anymore.  If this is you right now, don’t sweat it.

(Ps. Yes that’s me in the photo doing a park workout on my second day here in Madrid!)

Here is the good news….

Working out abroad is EASY. It doesn’t necessarily require a gym or a lot of extra time. 20 minutes of exercise is less than 2 percent of your day. Multiply this by 4x a week. Trust me, you can spare 20 minutes of the time you spend Facebook stalking and browsing the Internet for cheap flights and hostel prices to get moving. You don’t even have to leave your apartment or home stay…. Let’s get to it!

Make these small lifestyle changes for big results:

Explore a city by walking—If school or the grocery store is within walking distance, make the extra effort and walk! Exploring busy streets via foot will give you more exposure to the culture and thus more bang for your buck.  Walking is a workout and a money saver.  Still make an effort to do more than just walking abroad for your workouts but this is a good first step for those of you who take public transportation for your 15 minute school commute.

Take the stairs—Here in Madrid, the metro system offers two options: crowded escalators or steep stairs.  The vast majority of people are found on the right side of the escalator waiting until they reach the top. Stop standing on the escalator and take the stairs!!! Every stair adds up!

Go to the Park/Playground—Is there is a park nearby your apartment or home-stay?  In Madrid, I am in five minutes running distance from Retiro, a world-renowned park with an outdoor fitness playground, lakes, monuments, and restaurants. People are ALWAYS working out there at all times of the day.  When I’m in need of a stress reliever or energy boost and don’t have time to go to the gym, I head to the park for a run or bodyweight workout using the outdoor playground.  Simply jog to the park, perform your workout, and run back home.  Check out these playground workouts from different fitness bloggers and make your workouts more fun:  workout1 workout2  workout3-advanced

Ask Around—it never hurts to ask locals or the staff at your school about fitness deals and events in the area.  My abroad program offers students a list of gyms with student discounts.  Often times, coffee shops and areas heavily populated with students will have flyers and information about yoga or spin classes in the area.  Explore, ask around, and you will find something to suit your fitness needs.

Join The Gym—often times abroad programs will offer a list of gyms with student discounts. If not, search online or look in your local newspaper. Some gyms offer free membership for a month or for a discounted student fee. You don’t need to go to the gym everyday. (In fact I probably only make it to the gym here 3x a week due to weekend travels and the 40 minutes each way commute….) On the days I can’t get to the gym I workout outside, do circuits in my apartment (teach classes to my roommates- miss teaching in the US!) or take an off day.  I’m trying to enjoy being abroad and am giving m body a break from my normal exercise routine.  Do not overdo it and don’t spend more time than needed in the gym.  Only have 45 minutes?  Perform strength moves followed by high intensity cardio moves.  Here’s a sample routine if you’re new to strength training.  Ps. Stay tuned for an upcoming article about navigating the weight room!

Rent a Bike—if you’re in a bike friendly city, chances are you can rent a bike for a weekly or monthly fee. This is another great way to explore the city while exercising!

Home workouts– Do you have a living room or some extra floor room in your bedroom?  15 minutes?  Get ready to work out with absolutely no equipment and minimal time.  Here are a few fitness bloggers/websites that post home workouts often.  Check them out!  Blogilates ToneItUp AmandaRussell BradGouthro

Sports— Play a sport back at home? Chances are you can continue playing your sport abroad.  There are public tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. here in spain and nearby where you’re living. Once again, ask the locals or search online.

Add some exercise back into your life and make the most of your time abroad. 
Bon Voyage and safe travels!

Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!