Shape-Up Rhodes: Protein Pick-Me-Ups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Say goodbye to the 5-hour Energy and Red Bull.  Instead, stock up on protein-packed snacks for a quick and healthy energy boost that will leave you feeling alert and satisfied.

Greek Yogurt
A protein packed super-food.  It is thicker and creamier than generic yogurt and comes in a variety of flavors.  I prefer to buy the plain flavor and add-in honey, cinnamon, or fresh fruit.  Look for a Greek yogurt with less than 140 calories and more than 15 grams of protein per serving.

**Brands to Try: Fage Total 0%, Oikos 0%, Chobani 0% or 2%- Check out the Chobani 0% line for fun flavors including pomegranate and black cherry

Mini Babybell Light Cheese
A great snack to curb your hunger if you’re starving an hour before dinner…plus the wax is fun to peel off! (50 calories, 6 grams of protein)

Almonds
One serving, approx. 24 almonds, contains approx 6g of protein, but almonds also contain essential fatty acids and nutrients that are beneficial to your health.  Make sure you measure out a serving size instead of eating them out of the can.  (170 calories, 6g protein)

**Brands to Try:  Blue Diamond Oven Roasted Almonds No Salt Flavor or Blue Diamond Whole Natural Flavor

Quick Tip:  Purchase snack sized Ziploc bags and pack your own portion of almonds.  The pre-packaged snack packs cost more money than a can or bag of almonds cost.

Peanut Butter
One serving of peanut butter contains approx 7g protein, and like almonds, peanut butter has essential fatty acids and nutrients.  Peanut butter is a high calorie food so be sure to measure out a serving or half of a serving

For a quick and healthy snack, try dipping carrots or celery into peanut butter, or spread it on a rice cake. 

Quick Tip: When buying peanut butter, ignore the fancy labels and look directly at the ingredients.  If the product has more than 3 ingredients, don’t buy it.  The fewer ingredients the product contains, the better it is for you.

Proteins to avoid:  Protein bars- the majority of protein bars on the market are full of processed ingredients and sugar alcohols.  When consuming protein, it’s best to stick to the natural stuff.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.