Runway to Rhodes: Day 2 of Rites of Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The Lineup: Whale Fight, Miner 49ers, Ying Yang Twins and David Banner

What to wear: I predict there is going to be a lot of dancing at Saturday night’s concerts. The Ying Yang Twins take me all the way back to that awkward 8th grade dance where, if a guy tried to dance with me, I literally ran away. Fortunately (or unfortunately) nothing holds me back from breaking out in a sweet dance move these days. I heard The Miner 49ers for the first time last weekend; they are the perfect band to dance to in the way your parents would approve.  The Twins and David Banner, on the other hand, will be ideal for you to get your club on. Warm weather (YAY) + lots of people busting a move= HOT (temperature wise). So here are some ideas to help you dress adequately while still looking hot (carnal wise).

1.     The Lace Top 

This is the shirt that lets you keep it classy and cool. Lace is breathable, so you don’t have to worry about suffocating out on the dance floor.  This shirt is from Madonna’s line, which I am pretty sure is made for tweens, but I consider myself more of a twenty-teen so that’s fine with me. WARNING: Lace can be dangerous because there is a very fine line between boho chic and ‘I found this in my grandma’s closet’ (not so) chic. Wanna get some double takes? Wear a nude tank under a lace top to keep ‘em guessing.

2.     The Romper

Spring is here and it’s time to celebrate! The romper is perfect for a concert where you are worried you might dance your pants off (because it won’t happen! Get it?? Eh?) With a crazy pattern like this, the Ying Yang Twins may even call you up on stage ;-)

3.   Rave(ish) Attire

Rhodes seems to have outdone itself with rave parties this year. Practically every weekend Rhodents can be spotted gallivanting around campus in neon tanks and glow-sticks. Well Saturday night may be your last chance of the year to wear those crazy neon furry boots that have gotten their fair share of wearing.  I plan on pulling out one of my freshman rave favorites, the gold American Apparel mini-skirt for Saturday night.

4.     The Baby Doll Dress 

With varieties like the open back or scoop neck, a baby doll dress will allow you to stay cool while getting your groove on. Since these dresses tend to be fitted, stay away from any light colors that could show (GASP) sweat. 

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.