Runway to Rhodes: Day 1 of Rites of Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The Line Up: Matt & Kim, Anberlin, The Hood Internet

What to Wear: The weather gods are finally shining favorably upon us: this weekend (should be) warm and sunny. Although you never really know in Memphis, it’s time to pull out those spring outfits that have been patiently waiting in your closet for their time to shine. Stuck in a clothing rut? Here are some ideas to help you out.

1.     Kimchi Blue Lace Dress

I have yet to visit the newly opened Urban Outfitters, mostly because I am broke and don’t want to be tortured by the outfits that could have been. A white lace dress is great for all occasions because it can be as dressy or casual, depending on how you accessorize it. Throw on some boots and a jean jacket if (heaven forbid) it gets chilly. With a little luck, all you’ll need are some wedges and feathers in your hair.

2.     American Apparel T-Shirt Dress

T-shirt dresses are the epitome of cool. This one hugs in all the right places in case you, like me, tend to overeat at basically any place that isn’t the Rat. It’s also offered in 15 different colors, so there will always be one to fit your mood. Belt it for extra flattering definition.

3.     Gap Denim Sleeveless Shirt

Alright, the name of this shirt makes it sound heinous, I know. But it has so much potential that I just ordered it off the internet, even though I said that I was broke earlier in this post. Clearly I have a problem. Although the jean on jean look the model is wearing is cute, I prefer to mix lighter and darker washes together. With all gold accessories, you’ll be looking like a million bucks.

4.     Any Random Old T-Shirt

Right now I am wearing a blue tie-dye t-shirt that has a bald eagle, American flag, thunder storm and the Rocky Mountains painted on the front of it. Sounds pretty magical, I know. I bought it at the lovely Disabled American Veterans Thrift Store for a whopping 2 dollars. It is ridiculous how many (somewhat sincere) complements I get on it. Dress it up (and keep it classy) with jean shorts, wedges and tons of bracelets. 

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.