From Jambalaya to Jordan: Sameer Warraich ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.
Memphis may seem like it would be a hard adjustment for Sameer Warraich, a Junior Economics major from Islamabad, Pakistan. However, Sameer has made Rhodes his home, but his involvement in US organizations extends beyond Tennessee state lines.

Sameer recently won the Theodore Eckels International Business Internship Award, a competitive Rhodes College summer study scholarship that allows the recipient to choose where and for whom to intern abroad. The award is reserved for an Economics major with a defined interest and clear vision of how to best use the scholarship abroad. Sameer narrowed his interests to an unfamiliar place and culture where he could apply his economic skills.

Accordingly, he accepted a summer internship at the Investment Board in Amman, Jordan’s capital. As an investment consulting intern, he will be responsible for preparing feasibility reports for companies looking to invest in Jordan and for ensuring proactivity of prospective investors. 

Sameer chose to go to Jordan because, for him, it’s more than just a job; “It’s in the heart of the Middle East.” Sameer adds, “and I’ve always wanted to go there.” 

Is he nervous? Of course not. While many are apprehensive of living in a country bordering a seemingly dangerous and tumultuous region in the world, Sameer is nothing but “super excited.” However, he does think it will be a culture shock. He has some experience with the Arab world, growing up in Pakistan. But the Arab world is not as homogenous, as it is portrayed to be. Sameer says that Jordan has a completely “different culture” and “different language” — one that he cannot wait to familiarize himself with.

Beyond his interest in economics, which began when he was in 8th grade, Sameer has maximized his time at Rhodes by getting involved in many extra-curriculars.  This includes the Catholic Student’s Association and RUF’s Alternative Spring Break trips. During these trips students go to New Orleans to provide Katrina relief.

His involvement in off-campus affairs first began at the Illinois Policy Institute, a free market think tank in Chicago, where Sameer worked in summer 2010. The institute develops policy briefs and recommendations for state legislatures for economic issues, such as minimum wage, public housing, low-income housing, and public pensions, etc.

This past winter, Sameer returned to his home, Islamabad, Pakistan, where he had a micro-financing internship. He looks forward to culminating his past projects in the US and Pakistan alike and succeeding in his internship in Jordan. From Jambalaya to Jordan, Sameer has dappled in many projects to give him the confidence and experience for his internship at the Investment Board.

As he makes his transition from Memphis to arguably one of the most influential parts of the world today, he anticipates being closer to developments inspired by the Arab Spring. Sparked by their discontent and injustice within their governments, the Arab Spring encompasses citizens of multiple countries throughout the Middle East and Northern Africa that have spent the past year rebelling against their rulers to create a better life for themselves in the future.  “It makes it even more exciting. It’s going to be really awesome to be in the center of all the political tension.” Indeed, Sameer has been an inspirational figure within the Rhodes community, and we look forward to hearing more about his accomplishments in Jordan in the coming year.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.