The Informed Collegiette: 5 International Current Events from the Past 2 Weeks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the Rhodes bubble has led you to lose sight of the outside world a bit. It happens to most of us, but hopefully these brief facts will get you up to date – or at least looking informed at a cocktail party.

Syria

It is hard to put this issue in a “nutshell.” Syria especially drew international attention on Wednesday and Thursday (Feb. 9 & 10) this past week. Wednesday, government tanks began to attack Homs, Syria, allegedly attacking rebel groups (but seemingly taking civilians in the wake). On Thursday, a bombing brought at least 28 deaths and hundreds of wounded citizens in a city called, Aleppo. The government blamed the bombing on rebel groups, but the rebel groups, in return, blamed it on the government..

For months now rebel groups in Syria have been in conflict with the government, led by President Bashar al-Assad. BBC states that the government intends to “crush” the rebel groups. This is especially the goal in a region called, Homs (about 40 miles east of the Mediterranean).

There are three national terrorist groups the Syrian National Council (SNC), the Free Syrian Army, and the Supreme Military Council, all of which do not particularly get along, but do agree on their rejection of the government and their desire to depose President al-Assad.

To complicate things, the Russian government has gotten involved. Russia has strong ties with Damascus, and it, reportedly, is “not out of the question” for Russia to play a mediating role in the situation.

The UN attempted to intervene. It seems they wanted to force al-Assad to step down. But Russia and China have blocked any intervention. They do not want “western” intervention in the area.

On Saturday (Feb. 11), attention turned to the UN General Assembly, as they were pleaded to to stop the violence. Saudi Arabia is drafting a resolution to force al-Assad to step down and also for the violence to end on all sides.

The resolution has created much controversy. Its fruits (or lack thereof) will only be seen with time.

Maldives

This tiny group of islands has made quite the impact in the news over the past couple of weeks. News began with violence and rebellions in Maldives. On Tuesday (Feb. 7), the former president, Mohamed Nasheed turned in his “resignation,” which he claims was a forced coup. His predecessor, now-President Mohammed Waheed of course denies this, but the argument has called or international intervention. 

The Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (made up of 9 foreign ministers from the 54 members of the Commonwealth) will be called to review the Nasheed’s resignation and decide whether all dealings were legal or not. The CMAG has the power to “suspend” members if they feel they are acting outside of democracy – they did to Fiji and Pakistan in the last 10 years.

President Waheed calls Mr. Nasheed’s actions dictator-like acting out for media attention. CMAG’s decision will hopefully bring light to the situation.

Greece

On Thursday (Feb. 10) there were clashes in Athens between protesters and armed forces.

The protesters were speaking out against financial stipulations being set by the Eurozone against Greece. The Eurozone is planning on a bailout of nearly 130 bn euros for Greece, but in return they continue to ask for budget cuts and reforms from Greece. The country is hurting, with unemployment rising above 20% and a BBC correspondent states, “The frustration… in Athens is palpable” (Lowen).

Both the Eurozone and Greece have much to lose if a bailout of Greece does not succeed. The whole nation is somewhat tense from the prospects and hoping to secure success as much as possible.

Russian Secrets

On Thursday (Feb. 10), a Russian engineer, Lt-Col Vladimir Nesterets was sentenced to 13 years in jail after being convicted of selling secrets to the United States CIA. He evidently sold missile test results from a Russian space station.  

Sudan

On Friday (Feb. 11), Sudan and South Sudan signed a non-aggression pact. There had been much dispute between the two countries since their separation in July 2011. They had disputed oil (a main export for both parties) and also the exact border. But after this pact, it is hoped that the two sides will live in relative peace, that they may both go to have prosperous separate futures. We’ll see. 

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.