Hurricane Sandy goes from Inconvenience to Tragedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Hurricane Sandy began its destructive path up the East Coast on October 28, 2012, and while nineteen states were affected in one way or another, residents in areas of New Jersey and New York, continue to struggle with the aftermath of the storm. Power outages peaked, at 8.5 million homes and businesses, without electricity, heat, and running water. Sandy got serious, fast. It began, as a rush of the general public to supermarkets and home improvement stores for supplies. “Frankenstorm,” evolved into inconvenient power outages and long lines at gas stations, but ultimately resulted in tragedy, with the loss of homes, and even worse, lives.

Over 100 deaths have been linked to Sandy, including one man from my own hometown of Princeton, New Jersey. Alex Vicarisi, a sophomore at Rhodes, accounts for the toll that Hurricane Sandy took on his hometown, Mendham, New Jersey. Not only were there two deaths in Mendham, but Alex’s own home was severely damaged by a tree which crashed through several windows. Alex admits, “It is in times like those that make it hard to be so far from home, but also shows how much we truly love and appreciate our family and lives we have back home in NJ.”

Residents and vacationers of the Jersey Shore are devastated. What was once a beautiful coastline, is now a heap of overturned amusement park attractions, damaged homes, and restaurants that are either underwater or are completely flooded. Jenny Bitzer, a junior at Rhodes, whose family has vacationed in Ocean City, New Jersey for several generations, says, “It is difficult to watch the news and see photos of something that we hold so near and dear to our hearts being ripped apart in front of our eyes.  However, with the help of surrounding friends, families and even strangers, the Jersey Shore will work to rebuild.”

Since MTV’s premiere of the reality show, The Jersey Shore, the beaches and state of New Jersey have fallen to harsh judgment by the general public and media, being associated with stereotypical “guido” and “guidette” residents, sexual promiscuity, and being a trashy place to live and vacation. (All too often, the first thing people ask me, after where I am from is, “Do you go to the Jersey shore?” or “Have you ever seen Snooki?”).

Moving forward as New Jersey heals from the destruction of Sandy, it is important to recognize, that while The Jersey Shore is entertaining, the actual location is a place that people hold close to their hearts, where they spent their childhood, and hope to bring their own families back someday.  

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who has publically pushed aside his political differences with President Obama to visit victims together, and instill a plan of recovery, defended the new alliance by saying, “If you think right now I give a damn about presidential politics then you don’t know me.” Vicarisi also noted, “I think it will be an opportunity to show the rest of the country how strong of a community NJ has.” With strong leadership and united people, hopefully New Jersey, as well as everywhere else that has been harmed by Hurricane Sandy, will restore the damage quickly, and find support from others, who were fortunate enough to avoid the storm.

Photo credit: The Washington Post

Rhodes '10, Political Science Major, from Princeton, N.J.