How to Spot an (American) Idiot Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

If you’ve heard it once, then you’ve probably heard it a million times before: it’s easy to pick out who the American tourists are.  This post is to give you helpful hints to avoid this fate, and unknowingly be stereotyped by a country’s native citizens. There are several perks to blending in with the standards of your host country. One, there’s no better feeling than looking local enough for someone to ask you directions. Secondly this deters pick-pocketers from targeting you as a vulnerable tourist. However, some components of the stereotypical American are out of our control. Our accents for one, reveal our nationality the second we open our mouths. Also when we open our months, our teeth can determine our nationality. No other nation in the world is as obsessed with getting perfect, straight teeth into every child’s mouth as Americans. All is not lost however; there are aspects that can be controlled. Below are three ways to avoid being perceived as an American tourist:

1.     Shoes

Ladies take a look in your closet, I guarantee most college-aged women have at least 3 of the 5 following shoes: Rainbow sandals, Converse, bean boots, Chacos, and Hunter rain boots. I get it. This array of foot wares defines practically and can get you through almost any weather or event. I too fall into the category of women who own the majority of these shoes. However trendy they may seem in the U.S. try to leave some, if not all, of these collegiette favorites behind. Instead of these, wear comfortable leather walking shoes in a city. In general any close-toed, supportive flat looks respectable while being practical and is a good alternative to the above footwear.

2.     Logos

You may not realize it, but Americans love their logos. I’m not just talking about clothing brands here but plenty of commonly worn apparel in the US incorporates the logos of sport teams, colleges, or vacation destinations, etc. onto the clothing and baseball caps. The easiest way to avoid wearing these while abroad is to simply not bring them. The temptation to wear comfortable clothing while touring all day is strong, to help eliminate this pack plain cardigans and a sunhats, in lieu of a hoodie and baseball cap. In this proves to hard, pack only a minimal amount of items with logos and where them only at the hotel.

3.     Lounge Wear

Building on the above suggestions, Americans dress very casually compared to many cultures. While abroad it’s best to blend in and not wear what some may consider “pajama clothes” in public. Jeans are pretty universal these days, don’t need to be washed everyday, and are comfortable to spend the day in, so they are a good option. Cardigans and sunhats are smart alternatives to hoodies and baseball hats.

Happy Fall! xoxo

Anthropology/ Sociology major at Rhodes College.