How to Find Designer Clothes for Less at Your Favorite Stores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The most recent designer craze isn’t a certain color (eggplant, anyone?) or style, it’s collaborations that allow their lines to become available for the fashionista on a budget.  Last year Rodarte and Target teamed up, and Lanvin and H&M created sweet love in the form of a clothing line. This year we have even more to look forward to. Here’s a preview of whats to come.

1.     Missoni for Target

The stripes! The colors! Missoni offers all of their distinct patterns on a much more affordable price range. Try mixing and matching a printed skirt and top – you won’t be disappointed. Pair it with some flats (maybe the Missoni ones as well?) and black tights for a perfectly European look for this fall. Missoni definitely decided to cover all aspects of Target with this partnership  –  they also offer home décor, children clothing and tons of hair accessories. My favorite piece of the line? Their AMAZING striped bicycle. Better lock this one up, if you don’t I’m going to steal it. Just Kidding. (Not).

2.     Alexander Wang for Dockers

Wait, what? Yeah, we are talking about the same Dockers that the emo kids wore in middle school (Shhh- I wore them too).  Although this line definitely takes a minimalist approach to fashion, it’s far from ‘emo’. Wang is known for the structure and exact details in his clothing and this line does not disappoint. Available at Bloomindales and Dockers.com, it’s definitely worth checking out if you’re looking for a perfectly structured button down.

3.     Karl Lagerfeld for Macy’s

This is another collaboration that shocked me – I’m surprised the notoriously snobby Lagerfeld isn’t above mere ‘department stores’. His line is predominantly monochrome- and very reminiscent of a fashionable Puritan woman (perhaps Hester Prynne was his inspiration?) This line is more expensive than the other two, but paired with some great flats (maybe the Missoni flats! Ah!) you could get a lot of wear out of the dresses. Don’t forget Lagerfeld’s favorite accessory when you are rocking his designs- a pair of thick leather gloves.

4.     Lela Rose for Payless

This isn’t the first year that Lela Rose and Payless have teamed up- she’s been designing shoes for her high fashion line and selling them at Payless for the past three years. Her line for Spring/Summer 2012 focused on bright colors and graphic tees- and the shoes didn’t disappoint. The detailing on her shoes, as well of the quality of the materials used, will not disappoint. They leave me wanting summer, and she sunshine, which I feel we won’t be seeing for a while.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.