“Faith in America’s Future”: President Obama’s Second Inauguration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The week of January 21st was exciting and chaotic for Washington D.C., as it hosted President Obama’s Swearing-in Ceremony, Inaugural Address, Inaugural Parade, and several nights of galas to celebrate his second term as President of the United States. The Inauguration represented not only Obama’s success individually, but also was an inspiring display for Americans, as it served as a reminder of the racial equality we have achieved as a nation since the time of Martin Luther King (MLK day coincided with the events), as well as the plans Obama has for the nation to move forward, after four years of economic hardship during his previous term. The unifying theme for the week was “Faith in America’s Future.”

What was said: Obama’s Second Inaugural Address brought up the challenges America has faced since he first entered office in 2008, from economic downfalls, to Hurricane Sandy. Using the word “together” countless times throughout the address, Obama communicated his desire to move forward cohesively as a nation during his next term. Inspired by the past, he said, “For history tells us that while these truths may be self-evident, they have never been self-executing; that while freedom is a gift from God, it must be secured by His people here on Earth. The patriots of 1776 did not fight to replace the tyranny of a king with the privileges of a few or the rule of a mob. They gave to us a Republic, a government of, and by, and for the people, entrusting each generation to keep safe our founding creed.”

What happened: The Inaugural Parade marched down Pennsylvania Avenue, and included floats from different states and organizations. It also featured a Martin Luther King Jr. float, which seemed especially fitting as the nation’s first black President took office once again. Military regiments and high school marching bands also participated in the parade, which was one of the most attended events of the Inauguration.

Who was there: Many celebrities, including Beyonce, Jay-Z, Katy, Perry, and John Mayer (to name a few), attended the inaugural events. Alicia Keys’ “Obama’s on Fire” interpretation of her current hit, “Girl on Fire,” kicked off the night with a high-energy and inspiring performance (definitely worth checking out if you missed it).

What they wore: Michelle Obama looked very patriotic in a dazzling bright red Jason Wu gown at the inauguration. Daughters Malia and Sasha stood out in jewel toned coats from J.Crew and Kate Spade. 

Rhodes '10, Political Science Major, from Princeton, N.J.