Culinary Chronicles Summer Drink Series: Cucumber Infused Vodka

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

My idea of a perfect summer day is sitting by the pool with my Kindle loaded with summer reads while sipping on an ice cold drink. That drink has to include at least one of the two most refreshing ingredients: cucumber and mint. In most recipes, these ingredients are used one way, cucumber is a garnish and mint is muddled, but there are two different ways you can prepare these ingredients so they are drink-ready whenever you need them!

Cucumbers have a very powerful taste, which is why they are often just a garnish instead of a main ingredient. I don’t like using fruit as a garnish because you usually only use part of the fruit, and the part you don’t use goes to waste. So instead of cutting a few slices of cucumber to drop into your drink and wrapping up the rest for later, you can make cucumber infused vodka and the cucumber taste will be poured straight into your drink!

This recipe needs to sit for 1-2 weeks, so make it now and check back in the next few weeks on how to use you new infused treat (for those who are 21+ of course!).

You will need:

1 cucumber (preferably and english cucumber)

1 glass jar (like a mason jar)

500 mL of Vodka

Preparation:

1. Prepare the cucumber by removing the skin and seeds (if you went with the english cucumber you can skip this step entirely).

2. Cut the cucumber into medium-sized cubes.

3. Fill a sealable jar (I went with a mason jar) with 500 mL of vodka, I went with Belvedere left over from my brother’s graduation party as, but Smirnoff or some other midlevel vodka is preferable as the cucumber’s taste is easily affected.

4. Pour the diced cucumber into the vodka filled jar.

5. Seal and store the jar in a cold, dark place (like a refrigerator) for 1 to 2 weeks.

6. After 1-2 weeks, strain the contents of the jar to remove the cucumber and enjoy!

If cucumbers aren’t your thing, you can do this with any fruit or liquor! Check out this Bon Appetit blog post for some more ideas!

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.