This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

As I lurked the endless catalog of Netflix’s movie and show database, I encountered an interesting foreign series that kept me nail-biting, completely hooked, and on the edge of my seat!

Control Z, named in an homage to the generation of people it portrays (Generation Z) is a Mexican teen drama series that focuses on a quiet high school student, Sofia, with an impressive ability to observe and figure out the secrets of and the routines and patterns of those around her. She gets wrapped up in a school-wide social media hacking scheme that results in the exposure and spread of a select few of her fellow classmate’s deepest darkest secrets.

In a quest to find the person responsible for the hacking and subsequent chaos that ensues as friendships, relationships, and families are affected by the breach, Sofia and her classmates must also navigate love, deception, bullying, and mental health as their worlds are turned upside down and the leaking of their personal information is used against more and more people in the hacker’s attempt to take control over the school and turn everyone against each other.

This show was both enthralling yet horrifying; the Latin-American perspective of high school culture did not feel dissimilar at all and hit close to home with a proper depiction of teenagers and the issues that may often happen with teens and social media in the US as well, all while adding the heart-pounding element of mystery and investigation as the characters look for clues to try and find the culprit.

Control Z is only 8 episodes long, so take advantage of Netflix’s awesome subtitles and binge-watch this super interesting series this year!

Hi! I'm Tina, and I'm a Rhodes College freshman from Franklin, Tennessee! I'm very passionate about social issues, music, and art. Some of my favorite things in life are the Pokémon series' videogames, reggaeton, and hanging out with my pet dogs!