This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

If you are anything like me and have been stuck in some form of quarantine or are under a stay-at-home order, you know how lonely this time has been. I have now quarantined three times due to travel or been in close contact with someone who is COVID-19 positive and spent months under a stay-at-home order. This last quarantine has been by far the hardest and most mentally challenging. I have to admit, I am really lonely and I am tired of sitting in my room watching Netflix. Here are some tips to help combat the quarantine burn-out:

Get out of bed!

It is easy to sleep until noon or lay around all day when you don’t have anything else to do. It is fine to do it one day, but if every single day you’re in bed until 2pm, you’re not doing yourself any favors. Try to get up at a reasonable hour, maybe before lunch time. Even if you just get up to take a shower or eat something, leave the comfort of your bed for a bit. It not only gets you up and moving, but will also help you get motivated. 

Make a schedule!

Everyday write down 3-4 things you want to accomplish. It can be as small as making your bed or as large as finishing that paper for your class. Every time you accomplish a task, cross it off! Not only is it rewarding, you can see what you’re accomplishing.

Go outside!

If you are able, go outside. Get fresh air. It helps you clear your mind and reset. Sitting locked up in your room all day for many days takes a toll on your mental health. Try to go for a walk or even just sit on your porch. It won’t change the reality of your current situation, but it will provide an outlet. 

Music is an escape!

Take a break from Netflix and movies. Listen to your favorite album or try out a new artist. Break away from social media and just sit in silence to listen. Dance it out or cry it out. Quarantine can be lonely and at some points miserable. Listen to music and allow your emotions to flow, however you feel necessary. 

This is a challenging time for everyone, BUT just because you’re lonely doesn’t mean you’re alone. Don’t be afraid to reach out to friends. It is hard to not want to isolate and fall into a pattern. You are in control of your experience. Good luck and stay safe!

Reid Brown

Rhodes '22

I'm from Vermont which means I can talk about snow, maple syrup, and how great Canada is all day:)