This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Rhodes College offers many opportunities for students to become engaged through service in the city of Memphis, and the CityLynx program is one of them. Let’s meet Cycy Willoughby, a second-year CityLynx from Houston, TX! 

Q. How would you describe the responsibilities of a CityLynx?

A. A CityLynx has the same responsibilities as any other student worker at Rhodes. The only difference is that you are putting in your hours in community partners. While at work, you should realize you are representing Rhodes; this program is such a great opportunity to get out of the “Rhodes bubble” and work for/volunteer at organizations that mean something to you. 

Q. What community organization(s) do you work closely with?

A. Currently, I have spent a semester each at Refugee Empowerment Program, the American Red Cross, and Church Health.   

Q. Why did you choose these community organizations?

A. I worked at Refugee Empowerment Program (R.E.P.) the first semester of my freshman year when I was still getting familiar with the organization. I absolutely loved my time there; I loved working with the kindergartens and other younger kids with their homework and crafts to working with the high schoolers who made me learn complicated math all over and hanging out with them. During the second semester of my freshman year, I worked at the American Red Cross (A.R.C.) in volunteer coordinating. This was meaningful for me because I spent a great deal of time volunteering with the ARC during high school. One event I absolutely loved that I did with the ARC during Spring 2019 was Sound the Alarm where I and other volunteers went to Memphis homes to install smoke alarms if they did not already have them. I really loved to listen to the families and spend time with the other volunteers and the firefighters. Additionally, I got to practice my Spanish, which was a surprise. Currently, I am an intern at Church Health working in Clinical Administration. In high school, I spent a lot of time in hospitals doing preceptorships and rotations, so it has been really interesting seeing the other side of patient care rather than patient experience. 

Q. What does a typical week look like for you? How do you balance your personal life, academic life, and CityLynx responsibilities? 

A. Currently, I work Monday and Friday, totaling eight to ten hours a week. This can be determined based on organization and academic schedule. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have three classes, and Wednesday I have one class and lab. Personal life and extracurriculars fit in when I am not at work or in class. 

Q. What is unique about volunteering in the city of Memphis? How has this city impacted you? 

A. I am so privileged to have the opportunity to volunteer in the city of Memphis. When I go to work, it helps me get a better scope of everything; sometimes you get stuck in the “Rhodes bubble” and talking with children, patients, co-workers, and other volunteers helps gain a wider perspective back. 

Q. What does service mean to you?

A. Service has always been such a big part of my life. Ever since I could walk, I volunteered with my Nana in the food drive. As I said before, I think it is such a privilege to be in the CityLynx program because I am really getting paid for what I love to do. 

and a few just for fun…

Q. What majors/minors are you considering? 

A. I am on the Pre-Med track and am thinking of Health Equity as my major. I am considering minoring in Spanish and Religious Studies. We’ll see; that’s pretty ambitious right now. 

Q. What other clubs/extracurriculars are you involved with on campus? What are some of your passions? 

A. On campus, I am an SOS mentor, Photography Director of The Bridge, Diplomat, Ambassador, member of Kappa Delta, on the Crew Team, and a member of the Beekeeping and Medical Spanish Club. I absolutely love to read, spend time with friends and family, and swim. 

Q. What song/album are you listening to on repeat right now?

A. Too many. I love the Lumineers and have been listening to them a lot recently, the Rex Orange County’s new album is amazing, songs from Guardians of the Galaxy, and George Ezra. 

Q. What was the last book you read? Would you recommend it? 

A. The last book I read was The Handmaid’s Tale! I really wanted to read it before starting the show. However, the end did really throw me for a loop; right after I had finished, I opened up my phone immediately to ask Safari what was that ending. The author is writing a new book though about that dystopian world, so I’m excited. 

A connoisseur of books, fan of spicy foods, and a tea aficionado. She loves black coffee, groovy tunes, and justice.