This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

I am the example that your Civics teachers talked about. You know, the uneducated person who thinks their vote doesn’t matter. Yeah… That’s me; I’m “that guy”.

I’ve heard all the arguments for voting and why my vote matters. Honestly, I still don’t think it does, though I did write a very convincing paper in Civics class that would make it seem I think otherwise. I also got an A on said paper (#shamelessboast). That’s not the point of this article, though.

My point here is that on November 6th, I voted. Normally, if I am going to vote, it’s going to be for the big Presidential elections so that I have the right to complain. Though, to be fair, I would complain either way; the only difference is, if I vote, I have the right to complain.

Anyway, I went to my local poll today and cast my ballot. I waltzed into the building uninterrupted by the pamphlet and literature people (mainly because I parked far away from where they were) and I flashed my horrible driver’s license picture at the nice lady to get my ballot. And, most importantly, I got my “I voted” sticker.

I have to admit, I left a few categories blank on the ballot because I didn’t do my research and I really didn’t care about the local aspect. (Sorry to the readers who are cringing at that statement. Please don’t hate me! <3)

I didn’t vote today because of the massive influx of voting propaganda I’ve seen recently. (Like seriously… This is the most voting propaganda I’ve ever seen.) I didn’t vote because of peer pressure and I didn’t vote because I love government and civics (because I really, really don’t). I didn’t even vote because it’s my civic duty.

I voted for two reasons:

1. I am an American.

2. I am a woman.

I know these next statements happened years ago, but that doesn’t take away from the validity or the importance of them. I voted because there were thousands of people who fought and died for my right to live in a democracy and have a voice in government. That’s a huge part of being an American; I have a voice because I live in a democracy. I live in a democracy because men went to war and died. I also voted because I am a woman. Thanks to the 19th amendment in 1920, I have the freedom to vote. Women were jailed, mocked, and despised for trying to be granted a voice.

I vote to honor the sacrifices that came before me to allow me this right. I vote because I am free to do so.

No, I don’t think my vote “matters” and good luck changing my mind on that, but I do think my vote means something. It means I am thanking those who fought for me and I am grateful for their fight. I refuse to ignore their sacrifices and so I vote.

So, now that you know my “voting testimony”, please remember to vote next election because you have the right to do so. Honor those who fought to get you that right. <3

Sarra Dwynn

Regent '19

Not much to know. I'm here for controversies and Christian perspectives.
A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram