This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

The Princess of Pop, Ariana Grande, has done it again. She produced an amazing single that has automatically become a classic. It’s fun and relatable. If you haven’t gotten a chance to you should listen to “thank u, next. On November 30th she finally dropped the highly anticipated music video. I mean the video had nothing to do with the song, but it was so well done that no one really cares. In the video, she reimagines the movies “Mean Girls”, “Legally Blonde”, “13 Going on 30”, and “Bring It On”. Watching the video made me incredibly happy and nostalgic. The best part was the reimagined Christmas scene from “Mean Girls”. There was a special guest that I won’t ruin for you, but if you know anything about pop culture it will make you smile. If you haven’t already, get on YouTube and watch the video!

In the song, Ariana talks about her exes: Big Sean, Ricky, Pete, and Mac Miller. She talks about how they have all taught her different things about life and about herself. A few lines go, “one taught me, one taught me patience, and one taught me pain” and if you have had any dating experience this song hits it on the mark. Every failed relationship teaches you something. That’s why I believe this song is so popular. Just about everyone can relate to learning lessons from various relationships. We have all had our own fair share of heart break. When relationships don’t work, it’s hard not to be bitter and whine about how terrible the other person was and we tend not to think of that time as a learning experience. But really we should. I mean yes, it hurts a lot when relationships workout, but when you look at it from a different perspective it makes you a better person. Walking around with bitterness only hurts you. Don’t continue to let this person who hurt you continue to hurt you by retaining bitterness in your heart.

The second part of the song talks about how Ariana is now focusing on herself. She is focusing on becoming a better person. She says in the song she is taking time to herself, enjoying her friendships and working on herself. This also hits home and is something we should strive to do. It sometimes feels easier to just jump into another relationship after one relationship fails, but I am a big believer in taking a break and working on yourself. Taking that break makes you a better person and a better partner for the next relationship you will be in.

Some of the ways to focus on yourself:

1. Work on your relationship with God. Spend extra time in God’s word and talking to Him. You’ll be amazed how much better you feel when you intentionally build a relationship with God.

2. Work on yourself. Look at yourself and be honest. Is there something you don’t like about yourself? Is there something you can admit that you need to improve from something physical to emotional. Use this time to make a plan and improve. Do you have any fun hobbies? Focus  on that.

3. Build your relationships. Use this time to have fun with your friends. You can do things with them that you may not be able to do when you were in a relationship. Get to know them.

In conclusion, friends, “thank u, next” is a great song. You need to hear it and watch the video. There are so many life lessons and its fun. And remember, don’t spend too much time crying about that boy. Just tell yourself “thank u, next”.

I'm a law student, blogger, jewelry designer, business owner, Keto eater, natural hair wearer, world traveling, author, liberty fighter, and Jesus loving girl.
A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram