Joél Casanova: The Dancing Entrepreneur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

It’s no secret that Joél Casanova, a junior at Regent, is generally known around campus for his dancing skills that won Regent’s Got Talent last fall. This week, we caught up with him to learn more about how he started dancing, the business he owns and how he works ahead to balance school, dance and entrepreneurship.

Major: Communications (Journalism Concentration)

Her Campus (HC): Have you always enjoyed dancing?

Joél (JC): Not always. My first experience with dance was in a little dance team that my church put on. It was the first time that I had an audition for something like that. And then I made the team! So I started dancing at 13, which is pretty late for a lot of people. But I’ve been dancing ever since!

HC: What kind of dance do you usually do?

JC: I started dancing in 8th grade, but it was all hip-hop. [The studio] didn’t have any other kind of classes besides that. The last couple of years, I started taking contemporary with it, and I only took a few because I was more interested in hip-hop. [Later] I realized I really like expressing myself through contemporary, but I’m trained in hip-hop, and that’s what I teach at Academie de Ballet in Chesapeake.

HC: So you teach at the local studio, but you’re also running a part-time business. Can you tell us more about that?

JC: It’s called BeatHunter, and it’s a personalized program that’s twofold: it helps reveal the dancer’s Dance Culture and develop their Dance Identity. Everyone’s different, and how they were created to dance is different. It teaches people to use their gift of dance in whatever industry niche God wants them to. It’s like art: if you’re a graffiti artist, you wouldn’t apply for a job at a classical art museum. Although…I think a graffiti museum would be dope.

HC: Can we quote you on that?

JC: Yes. Absolutely.

HC: You’ve got a lot going on! Are you a “work ahead” or “procrastinator” type?

JC: Work ahead…I was kind of average in high school, but when I started college, I would always put dance before school. When I first started college, it was a community college by my house, and [it was] horrible. But then I took a math class, and I ended up being the person that people would go to and be like, “hey, how do you do things?” and that was my first glimpse into the idea that I could be that person [that people go to for help], even if I didn’t think I could. And that’s when I moved to Regent. I started building up study skills, and so now I finished the first four weeks of Western Lit homework in the first week.

HC: What dancing advice would you give other dancers?

JC: If dancing is what you’ve been called to do, then do it. But you are a person before you are a dancer. You have responsibilities, friends, family, and God to think about. Don’t ever forget about them.

Also, use all of your gifts. People in this world will tell you that you can’t do more than one thing with your life, [but] they’re wrong. Fill in the blank yourself: “I’m a dancer but I’m also a (doctor, lawyer, painter, firefighter, chef, journalist, business owner, veterinarian, etc.)”.

Don’t become a puppet. There is nothing wrong with helping or being a part of someone else’s vision, but don’t sacrifice your creativity and individuality to be one block in the wall of someone else’s castle. You were meant to be a king, with castle walls of your own.

Don’t forget that dancing is fun! As dancers, it is so easy to get caught up in training and classes and creating and gigs that we forget why we dance in the first place, but we do it because dancing is an enjoyable form of art that we just happen to be able to impact others with. 

Finally, find your audience. God’s heart is for people: anything he gave you the ability, skill, and passion to do, He did because He wants you to change people’s lives. Find out who [those people] are and love them.

HC: What would you say to someone who aspires to dance?

JC: Anyone can dance. Dancing is just moving to music in a way that matches how the music sounds. Don’t ever let yourself think that just because you aren’t a professional dancer, [you can’t] enjoy and even become quite skilled at dancing. Dance is not only [a way to stay] healthy, but it is a great way to spend time with people, grow closer to romantic interests, and just have fun! To anyone who isn’t a professional dancer, but enjoys it for fun, keep dancing!