Human Trafficking: What You Can Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Human trafficking is a major problem in the US. I wrote an article about it a few weeks ago, but in light of the theme this month, today’s article is all about what we can do. A lot of times when we read about these things we get really fired up and want to do something, but we just don’t know what it is we can do. It seems like a big problem that deserves a big solution, and sometimes when we can feel like it’s too big for us to be able to make a difference. 

1. Spread the news. One of the most affect ways to help and prevent something is to make people aware. If they are aware, they are able to do something. How do you spread the news? Tell your friends and family what you have learned about the problem. You can tell them about places in your area that have a high volume of trafficking, tell them stories of victims, and make people aware of some the ways predators get victims. 
  2. See something. Say something. That doesn’t mean you see someone you think is being trafficked you pick her up and run to the nearest police station. It just means you see something and get the proper authorities involved. You hear about ladies who have worked at restaurants and thought things were “off,” so they called the police.  Approaching someone directly who you think might be trafficked can get them in a lot of trouble, and can cause them pain in the long run with their trafficker, so it’s always best to stay back and let the police handle it. You can also call the human trafficking hotline 1 (888) 373-7888. They are required to investigate all cases that come in on the hotline. 
  3. Donate. There are so many organizations all over the US that work to for prevention of human trafficking and the victims of human trafficking. These organizations all need money. Many of them are nonprofits so they depend on the donations of people like us. If you do a quick search you might even find a house in your area that houses victims and provides them with things they need to be integrated back into society. 
  4. Give time. There are houses that help victims and like previously mentioned they are nonprofits, so they don’t make money. They need volunteers. If you don’t have the money to help you can give your time. Many of these houses need help with basic things such cleaning and cooking. Anyone (with a proper background check) can give their time. Also there are programs that need volunteers to talk to young girls about human trafficking. They can always use mentors and presenters. A quick google search can help you find these things. 

Human trafficking is a major problem in the US. It’s modern day slavery, but we can all do our part to stop it. We may not be a politician that can create a law or a police officer who can arrest the bad guy, but we all can definitely do something. A little bit can go a long way. 

I'm a law student, blogger, jewelry designer, business owner, Keto eater, natural hair wearer, world traveling, author, liberty fighter, and Jesus loving girl.