10 Ways To Make Your Period More Tolerable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Hey ladies! This is something I’m pretty sure we can agree on: periods are a time of dread.

On Monday, I got a notification from an app saying my period would start soon. What is “soon”? Today? Tomorrow? This past week I’ve been dreading the arrival of my period. So I began thinking about some ways I could make my period less agonizing. I have composed a list of things you might want to try to survive the battle of womanhood.

1. Be Prepared

Nothing makes periods worse than not being prepared for them. Have your pads, tampons and pain medication ready if you know it will be happening soon. Know yourself. If you get bad cramps, take pain medication that morning so you don’t have to suffer too much.

2. Get a blanket

I don’t know why this helps, but it does. Fuzzy blankets are even better because they’re cozy and cuddly. You can curl up in them, lay on them and hug them. Stuffed animals are good for this as well, but they can’t cover your body when you’re chilly!

3. Have your favorite snacks on hand

Honestly, I know that some things like sodium and sugar aggravate cramps, but then why do we crave it so much when we’re on our periods? If you have bad cramps, take some pain pills beforehand. You’ll want those snacks and goodies.

4. Transfer your nervous energy into productivity

Being restless is natural when you can’t ever seem to get comfortable. Instead of rolling around on your bed or floor, try doing your homework or cleaning. Trust me, I clean so much on my period because moving keeps me comfortable and get out excess energy.

5. If you really don’t want to be productive, try yoga

There’s a first time for everything. Stretching helps ease cramps, plus can possibly elevate your mood.

6. Learn how to make DIY heat packs

Since our school has a policy against heated blankets and electric heat packs, I’ve considered alternative methods. My favorite is putting a thoroughly damp cloth in a Ziploc bag then nuking it in the microwave for a minute or so. It will be hot, so let it cool off for a few seconds before putting it on your body.

7. Take warm showers/baths more often

Showers are a sacred time. During periods, it’s a great time to relax and freshen up (or sing your lungs out).

8. Hang out with female friends

If you’re an extrovert, this may appeal to you. I specify ‘female’ friends because it can be hard for guys to understand what is going on with your hormones. If you worry like I do about making people feel bad by randomly crying when they say hello, you’ll want to be around some people that can understand.

9. Have alone time activities planned

Inevitably there will be times when people aren’t available to hang out. Have some stuff to do in the meantime. Read a book that’s been on your ‘read list’ or have your best playlist on hand. You can even have a mini dance party!

10. Don’t take things too seriously

I always have to remind myself that being on my period is kind of like being drunk: if you aren’t careful, you might say or do something that you’ll regret when hormones return to regular levels. Most things aren’t as serious as we think, and we can overthink things. Be discerning of situations and ask for third party opinion if you aren’t sure.

I hope this list was helpful and informative on surviving your period! Stay strong ladies!

Image Credit: Cover, 1.

Tiyra is a senior at Regent University studying English with a concentration in communications. No, she does not want to be a teacher. She is a total advertising and marketing geek (she reads Adweek every morning and AdAge every month). She enjoys writing, reading, learning new things, and good music. She is a fan of Korean dramas, they're a lot of fun! If you're looking for her, you can normally find her where the free food is.