Your Guide to Moisturizing This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Winter is a tough month when it comes to keeping your face moisturized! Sometimes it’s difficult to find the best kind of moisturizer for your skin type so take a look at these quick tips to finding the best kind of product for this upcoming winter!

Normal skin: You lucked out! Normal skin is the best skin type to have, not to dry or not too oily. Your main goal is to maintain the way your skin is! You would want a light, non-greasy moisturizer that is water-based.

Dry skin: If your skin is a little more on the dry side, you might need that extra moisture! Although it is tough to find a moisturizer that hydrates without clogging pores your best bet would be to look for a heavier, oil-based moisturizer. Applying two layers of moisturizer may be beneficial for your skin and if your skin starts becoming uncomfortably dry look into getting a prescription for a moisturizer containing AHA lactic acid, which will help the moisture to be absorbed.

Sensitive skin: Your skin may be easily irritated so search for a moisturizer that is fragrance free. Your skin may also be very delicate and you may be interested in looking for moisturizers containing soothing ingredients that prevent irritation, rashes or redness. It is best for you to avoid acidic ingredients and look for products that do not contain many ingredients. Organic and natural moisturizers are also good for your skin type.

(Quick tip: Neutrogena and Clinique usually try to target women with sensitive skin so it may be helpful to begin with these two brands when searching for your best fit!)

Oily skin: Oily skin can be a tricky skin type to moisturize without causing it to become oilier! Your main goal should be searching for moisturizers labeled with phrases such as “oil free”, “for acne-prone skin”, or “non-comedogenic”. You want to minimize any extra oil on your face and tone down any extra shine. A water-based formula would be the best way to go. If your skin is more of an acne prone oily skin try and find a moisturizer that includes salicylic acid to avoid any breakouts.

Combination skin: This skin type can also be a little tricky when finding the best moisturizer. Considering your skin type is dry/normal skin with an oily T-zone, you should be aware of the different tips for each skin type. Sometimes one method may work better for you, however it may be beneficial to focus mainly on the tips for those who have oily skin to try and minimize an oily T-zone.  A lighter, oil-free moisturizer is what you should look for!