Top 6 Packing Essentials (and Non-Essentials!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

I am definitely not someone who can pack lightly. This becomes an issue when you’re sharing a room with someone who also has a lot of stuff; it’s challenging and frustrating to find room for everything. However, there are really some things you do not need that just take up unnecessary space when you’re at college. But, there are essentials that a collegiette must not forget. Here are my top essentials to pack when heading to school, along with the non-essentials that can stay put at home.

For high school seniors looking to attend QU, or returning underclassmen who can never seem to remember the essentials, here’s a list to help you be ahead of the game and start mentally preparing for your move:

Essentials:

1. Plenty of lotion, hair products, & other toiletries. I run out of body lotion so quick because A) My skin is super dry and B) I’m tall and have long legs and arms so obviously I need more lotion for that. Always make sure you have extra tubs/bottles of lotion on hand. My current favorite is The Body Shop’s Body Butter in the scent Honeymania. Stock up on hair products, as well.; my hair is very knotty and I go through so many bottles of detangling spray! To stay organized, keep all your back-up beauty products in cute storage bins.

1. Healthy meal & snack options. Unfortunately not everyone has the money to buy daily cups of $4 fruit cups or $13 sushi at the caf. That’s why stocking up on healthy meal and snack options, such as fresh cut-up fruit from the local grocery store, Luna bars, and Greek yogurt is key. Stock up now so you can save later. And don’t forget to satisfy your sweet tooth – in moderation! – with your favorite candy or chocolate in your stash.

1. A calendar or a planner. Having a calendar and planner is a must; most college students have super busy schedules and need some assistance with time management. Between classes, the gym, work-study, and library sessions, it’s important to write down all of your responsibilities, along with the small tasks you need to do in between, to ensure you don’t forget anything. Make managing your time fun by purchasing a planner in a bright color or pattern or buy a calendar with pretty images for you to look at every month.

1. Workout attire. Don’t forget your sneakers and yoga pants at home, ladies. If you’re a gym-goer like me, having gym attire on hand is essential. It’s especially important if you take an exercise class for credit.

1. A warm, fuzzy blanket & extra clean sheets. Having a warm, fuzzy blanket to snuggle up with at the end of a long day of classes is one of the best things. I have a white fuzzy one from Target that I absolutely love! Extra clean sheets are also an essential for those times when you spill nail polish or coffee on your sheets.

1. Ample amount of sweatshirts and hoodies. For those cold, blustery days at school here, having a variety of options to choose from for hoodies and sweatshirts is important. It’s also essential for when you just want to snuggle up in bed, for 8 am classes, and late-night library sessions.

Non-Essentials

1. Your own TV. Quinnipiac offers a TV rental service for the year. It’s affordable and a lot easier than lugging your TV from home and worrying if it will get damaged or stolen. Also, there are websites such as Netflix and Hulu where you can watch your favorite shows on your laptop in the comfort of your lovely new bed.

2. Expensive jewelry. Bringing nice, expensive jewelry to school is certainly not necessary.  There are unfortunately shady people everywhere, (yes, even on campus!), who want to steal your beautiful Tiffany and Co. bracelet. Save this type of jewelry for special occasions at home.

3. Off-season clothing. As you are all aware, Quinnipiac is in New England and it is very cold most of the time. When you come to school in August, it’s a given to bring shorts and tank tops, but be sure to bring them home when the weather starts to get cold. This saves up already-limited space in your dorm room. Another tip: Bring your winter sweaters and jackets back to school when you go home for Thanksgiving Break.

4. Duplicates of what your roommate already has. A decent amount of things can be shared between you and your roommate (hopefully she was taught sharing is caring) such as a printer, a Keurig, and a microwave. Touch base with her before moving in to make sure you both don’t bring the same thing and take up space where more important things are needed.

5. A big desk chair or La-Z Boy. First of all, Quinnipiac provides desk chairs that certainly aren’t the most comfortable but if you’re looking for a fancy, comfortable desk chair, just go to the library or student center and utilize the comfy seating there. Also, having a big chair take up valuable space certainly isn’t the way to your roommate’s heart; it’s just completely unnecessary.

6. A tool kit. This is definitely not a necessity unless you came to Quinnipiac in hopes of being a mechanic or a plumber. (FYI: QU does not offer those programs) If something breaks in your room or the light bulb in the common room lamp dies, the maintenance staff is on hand until late at night most nights and are tooled (Ha, get it?) with the proper items to fix the issue.

What are your essentials and non-essentials for dorm living? Tweet us @hercampusqu and let us know!

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy