The Top 10 Most Basic Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and I know all of you have been thinking about what you want to transform into this year.  However, if you’re someone that wants to be different or unique, these top 10 basic costumes are definitely ones to avoid:

1.  Cat

I made the mistake of being a cat last year.  The amount of times I got meowed at and the amount of other girls who were cats was ridiculous.  Take my word for it: if you dress as a cat, you’re going to feel anything but unique.

2.  Anything you have to purchase animal ears for

This includes a mouse, a dog, a bunny and any other four-legged fluffy friends.  The reason these costumes are so very basic is because they’re the easiest ones to pull off and probably the cheapest.

3.  Police officer

On Halloween, no girl is just a regular police officer.  She has to be a skimpily dressed, sultry police officer.  Either spice your costume up by making it yourself or just do yourself a favor and avoid the idea altogether because there will be others dressed the same.

4.  Waldo

Yes, it’s a cute costume and easy if you already own a striped red shirt, but you’ll find a bunch of other Waldos over the weekend, and it’ll make you feel less than clever.

5.  Witch

Ever since we were little, a witch has been a go-to costume for girls.  But as we got older, it became a sexy witch (of course).  And if you haven’t gotten the theme of this article yet, there will be a string of sexy witches wherever you go. 

6.  Minnie Mouse

This probably falls under point number two, but I feel the need to get specific here.  I don’t know if the trend will follow, but I saw so many Minnies last year.  Some dressed in red, some pink.  I even saw a “gothic” Minnie, dressed all in black with white polka dots.  Cute, yes.  Unique…not so much.

7.  Nerd

This is probably the easiest and most last-minute-looking costume in the world.  Honestly, does a girl ever really look nerdy dressed as a nerd?  And there will be others…oh, there will be others.

8.  Cowgirl

I will admit, I’ve been seeing cowgirl costumes less and less throughout the years.  It’s really being replaced more with country girls.  (You know: short shorts, cowboy boots and a flannel shirt tied up.) This also falls among the world’s easiest costumes, considering most of us own flannel shirts and denim shorts already.

9.  Indian

This costume is nowhere near being original. All it really involves is gluing a feather to a headband and getting a pair of those fringe boots, if you don’t already own them.

10.  Rosie the Riveter

This costume has become more and more popular over the years, especially among strong females because they want to showcase the fact that they are, indeed, strong females.  It’s a cute costume but has become quite overdone, so if original is what you’re striving for, avoid it.

I really have nothing against basic costumes.  They’re easy and good for last-minute plans that pop up.  Most of them are fairly cheap and even easy to make yourself.  I’ll admit I’ve fallen victim to the basic Halloween costume.  It’s certainly okay to embrace your inner basicness.

But if you’re looking to step outside the box this year and be somewhat original, my advice would be to go scarier, dress up as someone from your favorite TV show or movie, or go as a favorite celebrity or famous YouTube personality.

Some current and original ideas I’ve heard people discussing this year:

•  The ice bucket challenge

•  The Oscars selfie

•  Taylor Swifts ‘No, it’s Becky’ shirt

•   A sad world cup brazil fan

•  John Travolta at the Oscars

•  Netflix

•  A Netflix binge-watcher

So go forth into the Halloween season and try to be as different and original as possible this year!  Let us know how it turns out by tweeting us your fabulous costumes @hercampusqu!

Hi, I'm Savanna! I'm a junior at Quinnipiac University. I am working towards major is Graphic Design with a minor in Journalism. I have always loved to create, read and write and and am looking forward to implementing all those things in HerCampus!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!