The Room Service: Go Stuff Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

In my opinion, one of the best parts about the weekend is the chance to make yourself, and your roommates of course, a really good breakfast. It’s an especially important meal when you can still feel the alcohol that has yet to be metabolized sloshing around in your stomach. And is there really any better way to cure a hangover than with a food coma?

These recipes for Stuffed French Toast and Oven Fried Bacon are perfect for those mornings/early afternoons when Ray & Mikes has already stopped making egg sandwiches and you’re craving more flavor than the cafe can provide. Cooking this breakfast for yourself is quicker than going out, and you don’t even have to think about getting dressed. Most of the ingredients are always in your kitchen, and those that aren’t can usually be provided by a friendly neighbor.

Not only is the French toast stuffed, but I can guarantee that you will be too. Let’s be honest, most of us just crawl right back into bed after breakfast on the weekends. So drag your butt out of bed, wake up your roommates, and embrace your domestic side for an hour. I always seem to have the most fun with my friends the mornings after fuzzy nights, rehashing the details, and laughing about the sillier parts of the previous night out. You might be reliving some regrets, but you won’t be making new ones as long as the food and friends are equally good!

Stuffed French Toast – Serves 4
NOTE: Use large slices (5 inches by 4 inches) of sandwich bread for this recipe. If you use standard-size sandwich bread, you won’t need all of the filling.

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
8 slices sandwich bread
1 cup cold water
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
   Maple syrup for serving

1. Combine cream cheese, sugar, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Spread on 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices, pressing down gently, forming 4 sandwiches.
  2. Combine water, flour, egg, and vanilla in shallow baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of 2 sandwiches in batter and place in skillet. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.
  3. Cut into triangles and serve immediately with maple syrup.

Oven-Fried Bacon – Serves 4 to 6
NOTE: Use a large rimmed baking sheet that is shallow enough to promote browning, yet deep enough (at least ¾ inch deep) to contain the rendered bacon fat. If cooking more than 1 tray of bacon, switch and rotate the pans halfway through the cooking process.

12 slices bacon, thin- or thick-cut

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange bacon slices on large, rimmed baking sheet or other shallow baking pan. Roast until fat begins to render, 5 to 6 minutes; rotate the pan from front to back. Continue roasting until bacon is crisp and brown, 5 to 6 minutes longer for thin-sliced bacon, 8 to 10 minutes for thick-cut. Transfer with tongs to paper towel-lined plate, drain, and serve.

Both recipes can be found in the Spring 2011 edition of Entertaining from Cook’s Illustrated

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden. 
Johana Gutierrez is a Public Relations student at Quinnipiac University with a minor in International Business. She comes from a city life area in the Southern part of Connecticut.At Quinnipiac, she is the Alumni Relations Director for the International Business Society and member of PRSSA. This past summer, Johana interned at Live Nation Entertainment in NYC. In her free time, Johana enjoys going to concerts, listening to music and being in the company of her friends. She hopes to to continue her experience in the entertainment industry and ideally end up working at a record label.