The Room Service: The Art of Day Drinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

May Weekend is closer than ever. Bodies are already splayed throughout the quad, and the most wonderful weekend of year is just days away. I can almost taste the tequila shots, beer funnels, and blackouts.

There is no official starting point for May Weekend. You might think it begins Thursday night with the White Panda concert at Toads, but I saw and heard plenty of inebriated people stumbling around York Hill Monday night. This week and weekend is as legendary and challenging for us Bobcats as the Boston Marathon is for serious runners. If you take anything away from this article, let it be this: May Weekend is a marathon, not a sprint.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been anxiously compiling various cocktail recipes that can be made ahead of time, and in mass quantities. I have searched high and low to cover the most popular hard alcohols.

I recommend a cocktail for your spring festivities because it’s something you can truly control throughout the day. Since most of us will be drinking for 12 hours on average, it’s okay to water down your drinks with mixers. You don’t want to be the one who has to leave the party when it’s not even halfway through!

I never met anything that involved lime juice and salt that I didn’t like, so a classic margarita is my beverage of choice for this weekend. I even stole my mother’s juicer so I could get fresh lime juice without having to squeeze it myself!

Classic Margarita (Yields 1, so you’re going to have to multiply it for yourself!)
2 shots white tequila
1 shot triple sec
1 shot fresh lime ice
1 shot simple syrup
Splash of orange juice

If you don’t know, simple syrup is made with equal parts water and sugar and is boiled until the sugar is dissolved. I recommend you use 1½ cups of each to give you enough syrup to last the weekend. Chill before adding to your cocktail.

Gin Bucket
1.5 L of gin
3 L of Sprite or Fresca
Lemon and lime slices
Add a little lemonade concentrate and you’re good to go!

Caribbean Rum Punch
Splash of lemon juice
2 cups Cruzan light rum
2 liters ginger ale
1 qt. fruit punch
1 qt. orange juice or pineapple juice
Ice cubes

Vodka Madras
2 cups Cranberry juice
2 cups Orange juice
1 cup vodka

Evann Baker’s Liquid Candy
1 cup Arizona Strawberry-Kiwi Ice Tea
1 cup apple juice
1 cup Cotton Candy flavored vodka

And here are some of my favorite’s from the pros! 
Paula Deen’s Southern Comfort Punch 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/southern-comfort-punch-recipe/index.html

Emeril Lagasse’s Sangria
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sangria-recipe4/index.html
 -Only needs a few splashes of seltzer, not an entire bottle

Emeril Lagasse’s Sangria Blanco, one of my favorites! 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sangria-blanco-recipe/index.html

Most importantly, please be careful this weekend. Remember to eat solid meals, and drink lots of water. Happy May Weekend from The Room Service!

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden. 
Johana Gutierrez is a Public Relations student at Quinnipiac University with a minor in International Business. She comes from a city life area in the Southern part of Connecticut.At Quinnipiac, she is the Alumni Relations Director for the International Business Society and member of PRSSA. This past summer, Johana interned at Live Nation Entertainment in NYC. In her free time, Johana enjoys going to concerts, listening to music and being in the company of her friends. She hopes to to continue her experience in the entertainment industry and ideally end up working at a record label.