QU How To: Navigate a House Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Parties are a great way to let loose and have some fun after a long week of school work. Here are a few tip on how to have a successfull fun night out at a party with you and your girls.

1. Smile– Keep a smile on your face and always look like you’re having a good time.  By simply smiling it will make you approachable and give that cute guy you’ve been looking at to come talk to you.
  2. Put Down the Cell Phone– Constantly looking at your phone gives the idea that you don’t want to be there and that you’re just looking at the clock for the perfect opportunity to leave. So try putting your cell phone in your clutch or pocket on vibrate. If you’re waiting for someone to text you, you’ll feel the vibrations in your pocket so you don’t have to keep checking your phone every 5 seconds.
  3. Bring A Camera– Taking pictures is a great way to meet new people, plus it’s a great opportunity to record the night. When you and your friends want to get a picture ask someone to take it and then introduce yourself giving you the perfect ice breaker.
  4. Watch your drink– On a serious note, things happen at parties both good and bad, so never put your drink down or take a drink from someone. Always hold on to your cup and make sure you remember exactly what you’re drinking so you don’t have to worry about mixing liquids.
  5. Don’t Bring your Life with you– When you’re at a party there is no need to bring your huge tote with you, so travel lightly. If you bring a jacket with you place it with your friends and take all important stuff and place it in your pockets (i.e. cash, cell phone, QCard) so you don’t have to worry about losing it if you misplace your jacket.
  6. Have Fun (but not too much)- Parties are a great way to meet new people, so go have fun and enjoy yourself but remember these are your peers and Quinnipiac is a semi-small school, so have fun but remember to respect yourself first.
Leigh is a senior print journalism major and sociology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys traveling, writing, photography, watching Sex and the City, going out on the town (of Hamden) and laughing with, and at her housemates. In the Summer of 2009, she interned in Los Angeles at Genlux Magazine and Red Light Public Relations. She studied in Barcelona in the Spring of 2010 where she learned the true importance of life from the Catalan people. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and was a recruitment counselor during formal sorority recruitment in February. It has been rumored that due to her consistent honesty, she has no secrets of her own. Leigh loves her university and is having the time of her life as a senior. She has only had a few minor freak-outs about her upcoming graduation to date.