This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Red lipstick is trending beyond its classic home on the red carpet to the beautiful smiles of women everywhere. We look to our favorite female celebrities and cosmetic ads for inspiration, but is that really enough support?

Professional makeup artist Nex Ruiz from ULTA Beauty in North Haven, Conn., explains the do’s and definitely don’ts of how to rock red lipstick. Prepare to pucker up with these 7 easy steps!

1. Choose the Right Shade

Surprisingly, the color of your hair dictates which of the hundreds of reds will look best on you. Ruiz likes to pair an orange-red lipstick with redheads, a true-red shade with blonds and a blue-red color with dark-haired women. If you’re not sold on a color based on your hair, “I like plum. It goes well with all skin tones,” he says.

2. Pay Attention to Texture

You can guarantee a polished look by purchasing a matte red lipstick rather than a red gloss. Glosses tend to appear thick and wet which become sloppy, but real-deal lipstick stays in place and prevents smudging. However, if you’re the type of girl who likes a little shine, choose a sheen lipstick to add some sparkle or, “Apply a clear gloss over (your lipstick) to create a nice finish,” Ruiz says.   

3. Line Your Lips

​Don’t undervalue lip liner’s ability to accentuate your pout! Make sure to invest in a dark brown liner or any shade that is actually the opposite color of your red lipstick. As for applying the liner, “I always recommend my girls apply lipstick first and a liner after to prevent bleeding,” says Ruiz.

4. Consult a Professional

Purchasing red lipstick isn’t something to take lightly. Our professional says, “Always try it on before you buy it and get help from a (makeup) advisor.”

You’ll be better off testing different colors with a consultant than eyeballing shades from the tubes. Of course there’s a chance you’ll get lucky, but why tread the very thin ice between sexy and scary?  

5. Complete Your Look

​It’s a good idea to tailor your eye makeup and face makeup to match your red lips. Play up your eyes by creating, “A sultry eye look or smoky eye with charcoal or gray undertones,” Ruiz says. Also, beware of the blush! “You never want it to match so go with more of a bronzer,” he says.

6. Whiten Your Smile

For the love of all things cosmetic, make sure your teeth are white before showing off red lips in public. “Yellow teeth is a huge no-no,” Ruiz says with a laugh. If you’re already cleared in that department, consider using white strips anyway to prevent another big problem: “The red dye from the lipstick will stain your teeth,” says Ruiz. No one wants that!

7. Kill ‘Em with Confidence

Are you thinking about becoming the next lady in red? Ruiz says to go for it! “Color can be a powerful trend. If you want to be a part of that trend, then why not?” He suggests starting out by using red lips as an evening look and adding in a splash of color around winter holidays such as Christmas and Valentine’s Day.

Now that you’re a well-educated lipstick connoisseur, it’s your job to bring a little more gorgeous to the world! We hope to see you and maybe even a few girlfriends rocking professionally advised red lips soon.

Hi I'm Marisa. I'm from Westchester, New York and I'm 21 years old. I am studying Public Relations at Quinnipiac University and I love running, baking, and shopping.