Pinterest DIY- Project Number 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

DIY Project #1

Many of us use Pinterest as a way to procrastinate, pin recipes, outfit ideas, hairstyles, etc. I’m a huge fan of DIY projects because it helps bring out the inner “Martha Stewart” in me except not everything I make comes out nearly as good as she does it. But, there was one in particular I thought was easy, inexpensive and super fun! As a second semester senior, I wanted to “jazz” up my dorm room and put more work into it aside from just the usual pictures and band posters I had all around. Instead of spending $10-$20 (which is 2-4 Aunchies cover) or more on a sticker quote decal, I made one myself-for free. Although I had all of these lying around in my house, majority you can find in your dorm room (materials from Art 101 projects maybe?).  Depending on the quote you pick, it will either take 10-2 hours. Once you have your quote picked out, start outlining each letter individually on as many pieces of paper needed until the quote is complete (I used my Glamour magazines). Then, just cut each letter out.  I tend to tear things really easily so by avoiding that I glued each letter on a poster board to make each letter thicker. After that, repeat the previous step- cut each letter out. Once you have your letters all out, ask a roommate if they can help you line up the words in a straight line or however you want it to be. Lastly, tape each letter onto the wall and you have completed your own, inexpensive quote decal for free…or at least cheaper than it would be in store. Try it yourself and have fun with it!

Materials:

• Quote (I chose, I love you to the moon and back)
  • Old Magazines (any paper material will due, I used my Glamour magazines)
  • Scissors
  • Ruler (If you want your letters to be the same size, if not wing it!)
  • Poster board ( not necessary but makes each letter thicker)
  • Glue (only needed if you are using poster board)
  • Tape
  • Patience 
  Johana Gutierrez is a Public Relations student at Quinnipiac University with a minor in International Business. She comes from a city life area in the Southern part of Connecticut.At Quinnipiac, she is the Alumni Relations Director for the International Business Society and member of PRSSA. This past summer, Johana interned at Live Nation Entertainment in NYC. In her free time, Johana enjoys going to concerts, listening to music and being in the company of her friends. She hopes to to continue her experience in the entertainment industry and ideally end up working at a record label.