Miss Mixtape’s Band of the Week: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Band of the Week: Grace Potter and The Nocturnals

I often envy women who were my age in the sixties.  Their style was impeccable, “jeggings” were nonexistent, and bright colors and crazy prints were all the rage. It was a psychedelic time for everything, but especially music. If I had a time machine, the only year I’d want to go to would be 1969 so I could experience Woodstock. I would’ve killed (okay, maybe I’d give someone an Indian burn) to see Hendrix, setting his guitar aflame and the lovely, crazy, and enthusiastic Janis Joplin shimmying and belting out, “Cry Baby”. These musicians were not only talented but, for lack of a better word, ballsy.

For us generation Z babies, we have two options. We can either buy out thrift shops, resort to record players and live in a world that our parents’ nostalgia created, OR listen to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. The latter of these options seems easier and less inconvenient.  So if you’re a baby boomer at heart, then perk up your ears, chicky babies. I have a feeling Grace Potter and The Nocturnals may make you like your own generation a little bit more.

Who are they?

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals consists of the lovely Grace Potter, bassist Cat Popper, lead guitarist Scott Tournet, drummer Matt Burr and rhythm guitarist Benny Yurco. The band formed in 2002 after Burr saw Potter performing folk songs in a small club, and found himself completely smitten with her voice (the fact that she was a Heidi Klum doppelganger probably helped with said smitting). Burr then invited Tournet to join and The Nocturnals were born!

Why You Should Listen to Them

I am convinced Miss Potter is the reincarnation of Janis Joplin. Her voice is a breath of fresh air. Although we are stuck in the technological age of autotune, Grace Potter and The Nocturnals follow the beat of their own drum, quite literally. Potter’s voice is not only gorgeous but absolutely powerful. They are feisty, fun and completely sexy. Yes, sexy, wonderfully sexy. Not sexy in the Christina Aguilera, circa ass-less chaps and facial piercings, but the type of fully clothed sexy. So many musicians feel the need to suggest sex in their lyrics, because they want their music to be sexy. Grace Potter proves that is never the case. All you need is a passion for the art and feisty, killer lyrics. During their live shows, the band is constantly moving.  All of the members are so talented and so much fun to watch (YouTube them! You will not regret it!) Not to mention, their fashion sense is something straight out of a 1962 edition of VOGUE.  

When You Should Listen to Them

• When you are getting dolled up for a date
  • When you want to channel your inner love child
  • When your roommate is home for the weekend and you want to de-stress by dancing around in your underwear
  • When you are getting ready for a job interview
  • When you just want to rock out.

Your Mixtape: Suggested Tracks

Originals: Sugar, Paris (oh la,la), Medicine, Apologies, Hot Summer Night
Covers: “Why Don’t You Love Me?” Beyonce
“White Rabbit” Jefferson Airplane

Check out HC Founder, Windsor’s, interview with Grace Potter, here!

LINKAGE
http://www.gracepotter.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0Fb0DEkPU&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vy1OoBAL-E

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.