Miss Mixtape’s Band of the Week: Eisley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Hello fellow Quinnies!
Throughout my short college career I have made an innumerable amount of mixtapes. I don’t wanna toot my own horn, but toot toot, my mixtapes are fantastic. I truly believe a person without their iPod is like Michael Cera playing a lawyer. It just doesn’t feel right and it just doesn’t make sense. But this blog is neither about law, nor Mr. Cera. No, what you have here is some straight-up, raw reviews and playlists you’ll fall in love with. Want a music suggestion? Look no further. My duty as a new colliegiette is to introduce everyone to fresh new jams, upcoming QU concerts, campus bands, concert dates in the area and anything else music! This is a blog about an array of music that has caught my ears that I want to share with you. If you’re tired of hearing your roommates play Sammy Adams on a loop, come by and feel free to stay. Your favorite playlist will be waiting for you.
Peace, Love and Red Hot Chili Peppers!
-Miss Mixtape
P.S.  Got a suggestion for moi? Tweet me! @QUMissMixtape

Eisley: Who They Are

In 2005, the Texan quintet touched the hearts of adolescent indie kids with their debut album Room Noises. Now 6 years, a few EPs and two albums later, the band is still creating their adorably whimsical tunes. The band consists of four siblings (Stacey, Chauntelle, Sherri and Weston DuPree) and one cousin ( Garron DuPree).  Despite their Brady Bunch demeanor, the band is beyond matching polyester outfits and campy sing-a-longs. The most appealing aspect to Eisley is their lofty harmonies and lulling instrumentals, not to mention their fairy-tale-esque lyrics. In their most recent album The Valley, the band delves deeper into their well of emotions while still keeping that child-like innocence and honesty.

Why you should listen to them

I first discovered Eisley while watching FUSE one afternoon when I was 14. The video for their first single, “Telescope Eyes” was on and something clicked. Now, you know what I mean when I say that.  You must.  If you have ever listened to any type of music with any type of passion you will understand. This particular song was about a girl who had glasses and braces that people stayed away from (cheery right?).  Although it’s about a girl being ostracized for the way she looks, Eisley makes it into a sweet and comforting lullaby. That’s the beauty of their music. Their sound is soothing. Instead of urging you to go crazy and set fire to the things you hate, Eisley does the opposite. Their latest album The Valley stems from Sherri Dupree’s divorce, but yet, instead of vengeful power ballads, there are songs that simply and eloquently say how it hurts.  Not all of us are as these soulful vixens that crave revenge. Some of us are just people who need comfort.   The Valley is an album anyone can relate to, but still use to escape. Their music is audible optimism with a surrealist twist.

When you should listen to them

• When you’re feeling blue
  • When you’re feeling happy
  • When you’re in a meadow picking wild flowers
  • In the spring time!
  • When you are sleeping
  • When you are studying

Your Mix tape: Suggested tracks

Telescope Eyes, Marvelous things, Ambulance, Golly Sandra, Smarter, Please and Mr. Moon

***Hey! Psst! Be sure to listen to Eisley’s new single “The Valley” on 98.1 WQAQ! ***

Photo Sources:http://www.ssgmusic.com/win-tickets-to-eisley/
www.rufflesandstuff.com

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.